I am very displeased Mr. the Bach-man

Started by James The Red Engine, December 21, 2009, 08:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James The Red Engine

Dear Mr. the Bach-man
I bought the Thomas holiday set back in September.  When I received the set, I took out the engine and cars and put the track and controller up on a shelf in my closet.  I set up the track around the Christmas tree last night and powered up Thomas today after I got home from school.  The model is hitting dead spots in the track and is stopping and starting again.  I tested the model on my layout and it runs fine.  I cleaned the track and also cleaned the wheels, but Thomas still stops and starts.  My answer as to why it does this "STEEL ALLOY TRACK"

I have purchased this track 3 other sets before from Bachmann and all have failed to please me.  The reason why is because once the track gets dirty, I can never get it clean.  Why can't Bachmann include the Nickle Silver track with their sets insted of this crappy Steel Alloy?  I have worked with the Nickle Silver track before and I must say it is spot on for running trains, and looks a lot better too.  So why is it that Bachmann can't include Nickle Silver track in their sets?

Cheeky_ULP

QuoteWhy can't Bachmann include the Nickle Silver track with their sets insted of this crappy Steel Alloy?
1. Nickel Silver track comes in  the higher quality sets
2. Nickel Silver is a higher quality track in general
3. Steel Alloy is a cheaper alternative for the "poorer" people, or just easier to make and put in Bachmanns cheaper train sets in general.

ThomasFan247

Also, if the track is not level or very, very, VERY, close to it the trains will not run. That's what's wrong with my layout, but hey, I'm not complaining!  :D

kreeve

Thomas has trouble on my Atlas Code 100 layout at switches.  Why, because sometimes when Thomas goes over this, one  wheel gets raised up a bit while the other two are on the insulated frog. 

I pulled out Thomas and James after 6 - 7 months of not running them at all.  Having problems getting them to go at all.  The big diesels run just fine on my track, and the track was cleaned today.  Thomas is running a bit better now, but James is hardly moving.

I am still trying to figure it all out myself.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: kreeve on December 21, 2009, 10:19:34 PM
Thomas has trouble on my Atlas Code 100 layout at switches.  Why, because sometimes when Thomas goes over this, one  wheel gets raised up a bit while the other two are on the insulated frog. 

I pulled out Thomas and James after 6 - 7 months of not running them at all.  Having problems getting them to go at all.  The big diesels run just fine on my track, and the track was cleaned today.  Thomas is running a bit better now, but James is hardly moving.

I am still trying to figure it all out myself.

I had Atlas switches once. I honestly think they're one of the worst brand of switches I've ever dealt with. 

Engines probably need oiling after not running for a long time, try that.  ;)

razgriz233

I agree with you on the atlas switches, all of my loco's hit dead spots in the switches.

Who do u think has a better switch track?

StanierJack

I use Peco trackwork, and none of the Bachmann items I own have no trouble at all.

May I point out that TTTE items might not be to NMRA standards, and so may need a tad of work? They are toys at the end of tthe day. ;)

ZeldaTheSwordsman

They're more durable than many of the models that ARE up to NMRA standards, though. Well, the steel-alloy track does seem to degrade faster. I think something internal happens to the alloy over time. Also, insulfrog turnouts in general are notorious for stalling engines, and Bachmann's in particular seem to suck at being able to carry the current. What can help is making sure the rail joiners are always on properly and the rails meet at the track joints. For Thomas, clean him out thoroughly, clean the unpainted portions his wheels off until they glare, and scour his copper contacts with vinegar. Then put hm back together.

panniertankboy8751

THANK YOU! That's the reason none of my engines like to run on my switches.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Try and rig up supplementary wiring for them, there's a bazillion tutorials on putting in supplementary wires for insulfrog turnouts.

shining time

i have atlas code 100 switches and mine don't stop on the switch
long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

panniertankboy8751

No, I don't use Atlas track. I have the crappy Bachmann E-Z Track switches with the steel alloy. So, I've decided to sell them.

benvig

I have nickel silver track, so I'm good. ;D

StanierJack

Quote from: benvig on February 22, 2010, 08:53:22 PM
I have nickel silver track, so I'm good. ;D

Why are you digging up dead topics? :|