News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Ez command control center

Started by kharlow1965, December 22, 2009, 08:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kharlow1965

Can switches be wired to my ez command controller? If not what are my other options?I am new to this and any help/advice is greatly appreciated.Thanks!

NWsteam

Yes if they are DCC turnouts but my guess is they are not since you are asking this question. Your other option is to wire them just like you would on a DC layout. That is to tie it into the AC output on a transformer. What I have done is mount a spare transformer on the bottom of my layout and they wired all my turnout controls through it. Works just great. Also is great for wiring all lighted buildings and items to it. Hope this helps.

-Brad

ABC

Quote from: kharlow1965 on December 22, 2009, 08:13:57 PM
Can switches be wired to my ez command controller?
Assuming you are not referring to DCC turnouts, you can power switches for turnouts indirectly using your E-Z Command however it is not the best solution because it will draw power from the tracks, the same power source that is running your locomotives and powering lighted passenger cars & cabooses, so if you were to choose this option your locos will slow down drastically or even stop when the switches are thrown. The better solution would be to use an old power pack and use the AC to power all of your switches so your locos will not be affected every time you need to throw a switch.
If you do have DCC turnouts then you just program an address for each turnout's decoder, the addresses can include all 10 numbers I think.

NWsteam

ABC- In essence the same thing I just told him?

Pacific Northern

Quote from: ABC on December 22, 2009, 09:05:07 PM
Quote from: kharlow1965 on December 22, 2009, 08:13:57 PM
Can switches be wired to my ez command controller?
Assuming you are not referring to DCC turnouts, you can power switches for turnouts indirectly using your E-Z Command however it is not the best solution because it will draw power from the tracks, the same power source that is running your locomotives and powering lighted passenger cars & cabooses, so if you were to choose this option your locos will slow down drastically or even stop when the switches are thrown.

The DCC E-Z Command does not have auxiliary power connections, how would you connect the DC switches?
Pacific Northern

Jim Banner

NWSteam,
Based on the time stamps, I suspect ABC was writing his reply even as you posted yours.  Happens to me all the time too.  Having written a reply, only to be told in red letters that someone else has already posted, I often choose to post anyway.  Often, two of us posting essentially the same thing but in different words makes the answer all that much easier to understand.  I used to try to avoid double answers, but then realized how often, when talking face to face, we give two answers.  The second one is usually initiated by the person looking concerned or doubtful, and we almost always start off by saying "Let me rephrase that..." or something similar.

One of the problems with written communications is the lack of instantaneous feedback.  If we were talking face to face right now, I might see you nodding your head and I would know you agree, or I might see you tightening your jaw muscles, letting me know you disagree.  I might even see you hunch your shoulder a little, warning me that you were so mad about it that you were getting ready to punch me in the nose.  Similarly we don't see if the originator of the thread is nodding or looking doubtful when he reads an answer so a second answer is probably not as unwarranted as we might at first assume.  What do you think?  Am I making any sense at all?  Or do I deserve a clout on the snout?

Pacific Northern

The mechanics of making the connections can be pretty simple.  Either tap the power cord for the turnout control switch into the cord that runs from the E-Z Command to the tracks, or use a connector/rerailer section to tap the power off the tracks.  I agree with ABC that this is not an ideal solution but let me give you an example of where it is a reasonable solution:  I like to set up a loop of track for the Christmas Village.  Most years, I have just one train on that track.  But as all my locomotives have decoders on board, I run them on DCC.  This year, for a little variety, I want to be able to choose between two trains, but still want to run them one at a time.  So I will add a turnout and a siding.  Rather than use a separate power pack for that turnout, I can tap the power off the tracks.  I am never going to be running two trains and throwing the turnout all at the same time.  I might run one train while throwing the turnout, and I might have problems with even that if the locomotive is equipped with sound (that we will find out) but I can just as easily throw the turnout only when both trains are stopped.  And if all else fails, it won't take long to dig out a spare power pack or an old 0-27 transformer or a wall wart power supply of some kind for running that one turnout.  The turnouts are pretty forgiving and will run on ac or dc anywhere from about 12 volts up to 18 volts.  I will let you know later what I find.

Jim

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

NWsteam

Jim- (nods his head in agreement and smiles a little.) Yes you are making perfect sense. Though when I log in it shows a time difference of 20 minutes; maybe my clock is off. But I do agree with that you said about two different responses.

I also agree that it can be done, but seeing as the original poster stated his "new to this" status; I figured the wall wart was the way to go.

-Brad