I need to make an octagon with the track is this possible?????

Started by tooserious, December 22, 2009, 05:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooserious

My octagon  is 10 ft straights 24 .5 ft apart. I thought I could use 2 curves on each but it doesn't seem to work

Nathan

If you wish to limit your self to Bachmann track then you will have to custom cut some curved sections.

If you are willing to use other brands, both LGB and Aristo have small radius curves that have available 1/2 curved [15 degree] sections.

Joe Satnik

Dear tooserious,

Bachmann tracks are 30 degrees each which means 12 curve sections per circle.  (30 degrees x 12 = 360 degrees per circle.)

30 degrees in a corner x 12 corners gives a dodecagon which is a 12 sided polygon.
60 degrees in a corner x 6 corners gives a Hexagon (6 sided.)
90 degrees in a corner x 4 corners gives a square or rectangle.   

You need 45 degrees per turn to make an octagon.  (8 x 45 degrees = 360 degrees)

Cut 4 bachmann curves in half to get eight 15-degree pieces.  Pair one up with a 30 degree piece to get 45 degrees.   

Unfortunately, the clips that hold the track sections together will no longer work on the cut ends of the half-curves.  Black tie wraps or rubber bands around the outside of the ties (2 per joint) could be used to keep the track together. 

It would really be nice to have half curves from the factory

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

tooserious