News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need a decoder for a "GE 44 ton switcher"

Started by Eddy, December 25, 2009, 10:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

I own a Spectrum GE 44 ton switcher #80041. It does not have an NMRA plug(sadly). I need a small decoder as there is not much room in the small locomotive.  Any advice is appreciated.

ebtbob

Both NCE and Digitrax make small decoders that should fit.   Don't forget,  you can use an "N" scale decoder in an HO diesel.  Just check the packaging for amp usage.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Eddy

Thanks. I never thought about using an N scale decoder. :)

rich1998

search the bachmann messages for 44 ton.

i have put a digitrax dz125 n scale decoder in a two motor 44 ton.
it will work in a single motor 44 ton.
search the internet for dz125. the specs will tell you 1 amp and show you the physical size of the decoder.
the locos both draw about 0.620 amp.
tcs also has 1 amp n scale decoders. search the internet for tcs decoders.
just follow nmra color standards for dcc decoders. search for nmra dcc wiring colors.
save all the links to your pc for future use and to help others.

if you get adventurous, you can put a loksound and speaker in a single motor 44 ton like I did.
the decoder has the 44 ton sounds.
lex

rich1998

forgot to add. litchfield station has the dz125 decoder for $19.95 and $4.00 for shipping. i am getting ready to order another one. search the internet for litchfield station.
lex

Eddy

Thanks lexon.  It would be fun to get sound on it.

rich1998

i hope to do another 44 ton with sound in a couple weeks. i will do a set of photos. it is not plug and play.
the pc board is removed and the decoder is hard wired.
some metal is removed on the frame with a dremel or hacksaw to clear the speaker.

lex

Eddy