News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steam locomotive parade 2009

Started by rich1998, December 23, 2009, 04:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich1998

below is a follow up to the 16 locomotive finale that was removed from the forum recently. i thought this was a general discussion forum. i guess i am wrong.
i guess someone must have complained about it.
that one was 2008.

2009 parade is below. this is done in Poland every May.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx-eo3yiVhQ

lex

jettrainfan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

jbsmith

That was one awesome grand finale! 

Quote from: jettrainfan on December 23, 2009, 04:22:17 PM
Why can't The U.S. Do that ;D

We got them!  It is just getting oragnized and getting all in same place at the same time.

Imagine the same finale
1 Soo Line 2719
2 Soo Line 1003
3 Nickel Plate Road 765
4 Pere Marquette 1225
5 Southern Pacific 4449
6 Grand Canyon Railway 4960
7 Grand Canyon Railway  29
8 Canadian National 3254
9 Canadian Pacific   2317
10 Atichison Topeka & Santa Fe  3751
11 Spokane, Portland & Seatle  700
12 Chehalis-Centrailia RR  15
13 Abilene & Smokey Valley RR  3415
14 Little River RR 110
15 Union Pacific 844
16 Union Pacific 3985

maybe few more operational steam locos i might have missed

panniertankboy8751

What the Hell is GWR 5521 doing in Poland?!?! Shouldn't she be at Didcot?

CNE Runner

Lex - Outstanding post!! Those runners really had 'the hammer down' as they went past the camera...excellent. Yes...why don't we do something like that in the U.S.? It doesn't have to be exclusively steam power either (can you imagine the thrill of seeing a Dash 9 goint by?). Say, let's invite that little English tank engine while we're at it.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Atlantic Central

Yes, very nice.

Why can't we do that in the US? Because Poland is only about the size of Texas, and gathering that many operational steam locos from around the whole US would represent many times the cost of that event in Poland.

And, the owners of US steam are largely private, I'll bet most of those in Poland are government/museum owned.

There is much more operational steam in the US than jb listed.

He did not even include the locos at Strasburg that run regularly scheduled trains all day, every day for most of the calender year. Strasburg runs every hour, on the hour, from 10AM to 4PM, 7 days a week, March thru November, plus - a reduced winter schedule, plus, trains on the half hour in the peak of summer. During that peak operation, steam train passes steam train on a regular schedule. I don't think that happens anywhere else in the US and maybe not anywhere in the world now. Do they have that in Poland?

I don't think Strasburg is going to stop regular daily operation to send #90 to a steam "meet".

Not to mention dozens of other steam excursion lines all over the US who run every day in season or at least all weekend every weekend.

Sheldon