slow down a trolly to run on the same track

Started by bigred1379, December 23, 2009, 06:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1379

i wanted to know is there any Way to slow down my santa trolley to run with my regular train Ive tried weight and pulling cars off the track but nothing seems to work any ideas thanx

Jim Banner

I assume you are running on dc as this problem is almost non existent with DCC.

Take a pair of diodes such as 1N4000, 1N4001, 1N4002 etc.  Connect them in parallel but reversed (the band on one to the left, the band on the other to the right.)  Now connect that diode pair in series with the motor in whichever unit (locomotive or street car) that is running too fast.  If this does not slow it down enough, add another diode pair in series with the first.  Keep adding more diode pairs until it does slow down enough.

Each diode pair reduces the motor voltage by .6 volts.  I cannot think of a situation where you would ever have to use more than 10 pairs, and in most cases, would need a lot less.  You cannot achieve an exact speed match this way (and it is doubtful that you will ever achieve an exact speed match by any onboard method) but at least you should be able to run them both on a loop of track for a while before one catches up with the other, and when they do catch up, their relative speeds will be so close that neither will be harmed.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.