News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

new to G scale

Started by Oakley RR, January 17, 2010, 06:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oakley RR

Long time O modeler moving up to G my question is i have a retaining wall in my backyard that is about  14" tall I would like to climb above it to the terrice level What is the rise to run ratio to achieve this? Also being in California going with a mining logging theme what would be a good engine? I'm sure being new to this scale many more questions to follow.

Kevin Strong

Welcome to the wacky world of G scale!

Grades for outdoors are really no different than they are for indoors. A practical maximum is 4%, which is 4" rise for every 100" run. So, if you want to hop a 14" retaining wall, you're going to need 350" (almost 30') of track to do so. Obviously, if you can get away with less of a grade, all the better. But 4% has historically proven to be a good practical maximum grade where you can still run reasonable length trains without slipping, etc.

As for locomotives, if logging/mining is your theme, then any of the Bachmann geared or logging locos would fit the bill nicely. The Shay, Climax, or Heisler are all good runners. The 2-6-6-2 is another good choice for a logging theme, though thematically, a bit more Pacific Northwest than California. I've got the Heisler, and it's a very reliable, smooth running loco. It's logged countless hours during open houses where I need something that just runs and runs and runs without paying any attention to it.

Later,

K

Loco Bill

Welcome to the wonderful world of G Scale

I use a Bachmann 38 ton Shay.  I have it on an Auto reverse back and forth section of track and it is always on whenever I am running the layout.  It to is a great runner and goes and goes.  I pull 4 log cars and a caboose.  The greade is 4&1/2 %.  It runs from my log loader to the sawmill. It has been a nice way to provide action without paying attention to it while I run other trains. 

As for questions, Ask away!!  This is a very friendly board with lots of great guys who are always glad to help folks get started!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products