Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Percy Face-ectomy

Started by vic, December 25, 2009, 04:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vic

Hello Percy

Nevermind those men with hyperdermic needles

Body removes with 4 screws easily accessable from under holding the cab down, and 4 holding down the boiler

Percy after anesthesia

Percy after facial removal

this was very very easy, just press on the sides and it will pop off,

Side view showing tabs that hold faceplate to body

New smokebox face

Sheet black styrene & a spare wheel, I actually traced the diameter directly from the boiler

Smokebox in place

just simply ACC in place

Painted

Percy on the autopsy slab

This was a seriously EASY project completed in literally ONE evening
just waiting for the paint to dry then will add a gloss coat to match body gloss for now.

Already cannot wait to get my paws on Thomas! these are very very easy models to work on

az2rail

Poor Percy. If I was Thomas, I would run for it.
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Kevin Strong

I dunno, Vic. I'd hang onto the spare parts. You never know when you're going to need to save face...  ;D

Later,

K

StanierJack

So are you doing the trucks etc in the same fashion?

vic

Quote from: StanierJack on December 25, 2009, 07:13:51 PM
So are you doing the trucks etc in the same fashion?

Long term yes, Thomas et al will have the same treatment as will the coaches which will get double bogie trucks as well.

Finished with the smokebox, gloss paint applied to match existing, next grab bars and maybe a cab, will see.
;D

StanierJack

I was thinking about doing this, although I'd probably  respray the items and source British transfers for them.

I do like where this is going though :)

vic

Bit more progress solving the footplate issue, carved out the cab interior, begun adding the backhead, beginning to take shape

on30gn15

Quote from: vic on December 25, 2009, 11:27:34 PM... as will the coaches which will get double bogie trucks as well.
That's sure going to change their looks.

Looking forward to seeing what all you with Percy, this is kinda cool  8)
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

vic

Footplate work continued:

Backhead completed:

Test fit:

Coal bunker mocked up

Backhead painted

in place

vic

I am happy to report that Percy has successfully been surgically removed and a decent looking Avonside 0-4-0 ST was found inside:

Next up,...Oh Thomas!!!!  :o ;D

Jon D. Miller

vic

That's a very credible backhead you've constructed.  Looks great and adds a good level of detail to the locomotive.  Nice work!  :)

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

doug c

This thread could traumitize some kids !!

You should have stamped it with at least PG-13 rating  ;)   

But that unit does look a lot lot better than before  . . . . . to lure in "thomas" faster,  put out a dish (or 2)  of minced  coal and water !

doug c
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

on30gn15

When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

vic

Quote from: doug c on January 18, 2010, 01:28:30 PM
This thread could traumitize some kids !!

You should have stamped it with at least PG-13 rating  ;)   

But that unit does look a lot lot better than before  . . . . . to lure in "thomas" faster,  put out a dish (or 2)  of minced  coal and water !

doug c

I've been told this by others but I really dont know why, I've never met a kid who thought there Thomas toys were actualy alive, they are toys to them and as toy mwnt to be played with or in my nephews case ocassionally tossing the Brio Thomas across the room  :o

but he always pics it up and puts it back. If anyone is seriously traumatized by seeing a plastic model like this kitbashed I think they have bigger issues to worry about.  ;)

BTW Thomas has already been trapped and caged, and is awaiting "treatment" while the smokebox will be as easy as the Percy, the cab is trickier, its smaller, at this scale Thomas is more to the size of "Fenchurch" on the Bluebell Rwy:

More to come, "Annie" is being De-Annie-ized but I'd never show a lady without her makeup  ;)