News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Front Coupler replacement on Spectrum 2-8-0

Started by lanny, April 21, 2007, 04:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lanny

Hi all,

My Spectrum 2-8-0 kit bash is progressing but I've decided to replace the front pilot coupler with a Kadee. Will a #5 work OK? I'd also sure appreciate advice on the best (eaiest :)) way to remove the existing coupler and install the Kadee ... hopefully with a minimum or 'no' cutting?.

Thanks!

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Atlantic Central

Lanny,

The best way to put Kadee coplers on Bachmann Spectrum steam is to use the fairly new Kadee #148.

It is a "wisker" spring coupler just like the Bachmann coupler so it is basicly a drop in replacement. You may have to file the coupler open just a bit because the Kadee coupler is a little thicker, but that should be about it.

the coupler is held in place by a spall clip, just spread the side arms of the clip and it will pop out. Slide the new  #148 coupler in, check the fit, and reinstall the clip.

Sheldon

Atlantic Central

Lanny,

P.S. I received your e-mail and your instructions are on the way.

Sheldon

lanny

Hi Sheldon,

Thanks for the advice on the coupler for the 2-8-0. I'll get one of the Kadee #148s from my LHS and install per your instructions.

Thanks, also, for sending the passenger car instructions that you used in your demonstration/clinc. Appreciate the help!

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler