News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Opening passenger coaches

Started by bluebar2, April 21, 2007, 11:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebar2

Hi, first post from a brand new, very entry level model railroader in Australia. I have 2 questions.
!. I have a McKinley Explorer kit and was wondering if there is a way to open the coaches in order to add seated passengers?

2. I have acquired a brand new (maybe old stock) Spectrum GE Dash
8-40CW Wide Cab Loco # 7652  Item No.86011. Would it be possible to convert this to DCC as that is the way I want to go? It is not say DCC ready on the box.

I've been an avid reader of this forum for months but the time has come to start building rather than procrastinating.
I'm a bit embarassed about asking such basic questions but I have no choice.  Thanks guys.

kevin2083

Welcome to the board!
You have two questiones, but I have one. ;D

What scale is this in? It sounds like N scale from what I can tell by looking at the product number. I would not suggest trying to convert an N scale model to DCC if you are a beginner. I'm sure it's possible to decoderfy one of these though (with skill and paitence). There are some DCC equipped N scale models out there, but they tend to be rather pricy. DCC is great from my expirences, and I would say it's a good way to go if you plan to expand. I do not know much about the passenger cars, except that they're plastic.

______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

bluebar2

kevin2083

I'm sorry. I forgot what section of the board I was in. Again...
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

lanny

Hi, welcome to the forum. Don't be embarassed asking questions ... the answers that you will receive help everyone who reads these notes! I have asked lots of questions and have always received very helpful answers (I'm a kind of 'entry level' person too!)

As for your coaches ... I don't have any Spectrum/Bachmann coaches just now, but you should look carefully for any screws (including the trucks and couples) and remove them, of course. Then, using a very thin edged, flat tool (like an Xacto #11 blade), very carefully pry the shell from the body a tiny bit. Slip a flat tooth pick in that area and move along the chassis/frame a short distance and do the same. I think you will be able to remove the shell this way and put your 'passengers' into place!

I only run DC analog, so DCC experts will need to help you out on your question ... but if your 8-40CW is a 'Spectrum' version,I don' think it should be too difficult to install a DCC decoder, even if it is not a 'DCC ready' model.

You can also go to www.tonystrains.com and find a wealth of DCC information there.

lanny nicolet

ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

lanny

Hi, welcome to the forum. Don't be embarassed asking questions ... the answers that you will receive help everyone who reads these notes! I have asked lots of questions and have always received very helpful answers (I'm a kind of 'entry level' person too!)

As for your coaches ... I don't have any Spectrum/Bachmann coaches just now, but you should look carefully for any screws (including the trucks and couples) and remove them, of course. Then, using a very thin edged, flat tool (like an Xacto #11 blade), very carefully pry the shell from the body a tiny bit. Slip a flat tooth pick in that area and move along the chassis/frame a short distance and do the same. I think you will be able to remove the shell this way and put your 'passengers' into place!

I only run DC analog, so DCC experts will need to help you out on your question ... but if your 8-40CW is a 'Spectrum' version,I don' think it should be too difficult to install a DCC decoder, even if it is not a 'DCC ready' model.

You can also go to www.tonystrains.com and find a wealth of DCC information there.

lanny nicolet

ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

r0bert

I have not messed with one for years, but IIRC, the bottom is held in by pins/tabs on the ends and sides, you would spread out the sides and flex the bottom down to release the end pins.
but again it's been several years, so newer ones may be different.

Craig

My recollection is that of r0bert's. I would add that the coaches I opened had frail, delicate springs serving as contacts for the lighting and in at least one case they were impossible to realign once I opened the coach. I ended up hard-wiring the lighting system. Chinese kids have better eyes than I do.

bluebar2

Thank you Lanny, Craig and Robert
I'll give it a very gentle try and see how it all goes. will keep you posted.
:)