News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Gordon's and Thomas' Tracks

Started by White_Crow05, December 29, 2009, 06:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White_Crow05

Hello all!
I Currently own the Thomas' Fun with Freight Set, and I'm having the Gordon's Express Set being shipped to me :D I was just wondering if anyone knew the easiest way to connect so that i can switches the trains between the two loops when ever? I've got a couple of idea's but am not sure they'll work.
Thanks for your help in advance

Cheeky_ULP

Not easy with Steel Alloy, since it has less choosable radius curves than Nickel Silver.

I suggest going Nickel Silver, then you can easily have two lines connected via switch.

But it also depends if you want them running on the same line (looping?), or two lines running under the same power, or two lines running under different power.

White_Crow05

i was thinking two lines running on two separate power sources.
I'm assuming i can use the nickel silver with the steel?

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: White_Crow05 on December 29, 2009, 08:41:37 PM
i was thinking two lines running on two separate power sources.
I'm assuming i can use the nickel silver with the steel?
They can work together, but then you have two different quality tracks running together.

Nickel Silver has a grey roadbed, it's more expensive, but engines run very well on it. This kind of track is often in the fancier, expensive HO or On30 sets.

Steel Alloy is cheaper, and comes in cheaper sets, including all of the Thomas HO Sets. While it's price is convenient, most people find it doesn't run engines as good.

White_Crow05

So how should i try to connect the two loops or can i even, these two loops are just going to keep me entertained until i get the permanent setup i'm working on finished.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: White_Crow05 on December 29, 2009, 08:49:16 PM
So how should i try to connect the two loops or can i even, these two loops are just going to keep me entertained until i get the permanent setup i'm working on finished.
Well, what you can do is use a crossing to make the tracks connect but be separate. You'll have to monitor the trains though if both are moving to prevent collisions.  ;)

White_Crow05

LOL Sounds good Thanks for all your help sparks!

StanierJack

I'd say Sparks has solved the problem yet again.

But yeah, it seems with Track especially you pay for quality sadly.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: White_Crow05 on December 29, 2009, 09:09:27 PM
LOL Sounds good Thanks for all your help sparks!
Keep in mind I meant a RR crossing, not a road crossing over RR tracks. Like this:

(note: this isn't to scale or accurate, just a general quick doodle)

White_Crow05

One more quick question well Gordon be able to pull the express cars on the 18" radius curves?

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: White_Crow05 on December 29, 2009, 09:25:17 PM
One more quick question well Gordon be able to pull the express cars on the 18" radius curves?
He should be able to.  ;)

ZeldaTheSwordsman

He definitely can. I've got him, Henry, and 5 coaches.

White_Crow05

5 COACHES!!! LOL i've got two and until i can find them alittle cheaper i think that's all the express coaches i'll have for awhile

shining time

ive got the red and green coulpued together no prob
long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

White_Crow05

I figure i should Post this here instead of flooding the board with new topics.
I ordered said gordon set from https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/ about three days ago i paid for the express shipping and the order went through fine, BUT it's been three days and the status of my order still says processing, does anyone know if this is normal for this website, it just takes several days for items to be shipped out or is their something wrong and i need to call the store directly?