News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Friendly Remote Switch Turnouts.

Started by topsir2, April 23, 2007, 01:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

topsir2

I have just found out that you can't use just any Remote switch with a DCC layout. They have to be DCC friendly. What brand of switches can I use for DCC? Also is the #6 turnout switch ok for 22" radius or wider curves?

engineerkyle

Maybe you could define what you mean by remote switch...

If the turnout is thrown by means of a switch motor, it can be powered by any means and DCC does not enter into it.

The turnouts themselves should all work too, but I think you are 'sposed to stay away from from the ones with powered frogs when using DCC. I'm not sure why.

A number #6 turnout is close to fitting into a 22" radius. With straight points over an inch long, no turnout will match a curve exactly.

Someone with more knowledge than me can expound on this I'm sure. Jim Banner where are you?  ;)

Nigel

Quote from: topsir2 on April 23, 2007, 01:28:04 AM
I have just found out that you can't use just any Remote switch with a DCC layout. ....

Sounds like you did not hear the whole story.

Any turnout can be used with DCC, it may just take a small bit of work.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

Hunt

Quote from: engineerkyle on April 23, 2007, 08:48:50 PM
...  no [Bachmann E-Z Track] turnout will match a curve exactly.
Kyle, next time you are in a model trains store, pick up a Bachmann Remote Turnout (left item 44561 or right 44562) and place a 18" radius curved track (item 44501) over the divergent route of the turnout. (hint -- it will match)

Quote from: engineerkyle on April 23, 2007, 08:48:50 PM
I think you are 'sposed to stay away from from the ones with powered frogs when using DCC. I'm not sure why.
Kyle, powered frog increases the chance of a short circuit with some equipment as it rolls through the frog area of a turnout.