News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N Amfleet cars and HHP loco

Started by jscola30, December 30, 2009, 09:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jscola30

I was having the same problem and I found this topic: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,8419.15.html

I took out them out, and although there are no lights, the HHP can now pull all 3 cars and not just two. Thanks!

herc driver

Good for you...I'm thinking about doing the same thing.  I really like the lighting effect on those AmFleet cars, but the HHP8 sure has trouble pulling anything more than two cars.  I could get another HHP8 for the extra tractive effort, but you really don't see Amtrak using two of those units together much.  But if there's pictures out there of Amtrak using two HHP's...please post 'em.  Gives me a "prototypical" excuse to pick up another HHP8. 

I tried all the other mod's except modifying the coupler...but really didn't get a substantial improvement in performance.

herc driver

Doing a quick search yielded several pictures of two HHP's pulling the Amfleet cars, but this was certainly the exception to the norm.  Still, either one at each end or two pulling from the front together would solve the problem well enough. 

Nature_Okie

???
AND...are you using a CATENARY on them...does BACHMANN offer any in N?
I found KATO does. but, would prefer to keep my sets BACHMANN...

I am disappointed with AMTRAK coaches that are flat silver plastic...with my CENTENNIAL chrome finish cars...they  look awful.

herc driver

I tried somewhat unsuccessfully to utilize the Kato catenary poles but without any wiring above on my first layout.  I hope to use them again on my current layout build, but only on certain tracks.  (I realize they are not quite like the poles and transmission lines that Amtrak runs under. 

My biggest problem was the tension of the HHP8's tower pushing too strongly on the thread I tried using to recreate the wire look.  So I'll try to limit the upward movement of the HHP's tower and use another wiring component...possible fishing string...rigged from pole to pole.  Sure, I could use real wire (a very thin wire) but worry that one errant hand movement by me or my young engineers in the family would bend the wire enough that I'd need to splice it out and replace it all too frequently.  So I'm looking for something that has a little "give" but enough tension for the HHP's tower to ride under.

jscola30

Never seen to HHPs together have have seen two AME7s sometimes on trains coming in and out of south station, not often though.

herc driver

Got another HHP8 today...with two engines pulling, and all my Amfleet cars modified in the same way to allow the wheels to turn as best as possible under the friction of the metal lighting tabs, I was able to pull six cars.  That seventh car just wouldn't allow the dual engines to move the train at all without significant wheel slippage.  I guess my only option now is to remove the metal tabs to reduce the overall friction on the axles.  It's a shame since the lighting of these cars is really done nicely...but I'm at a loss to see another option if I want to pull a seven car string.  As a comparison, one Athearn FP 45 can pull ten Kato El Capitan cars without any trouble at all on my layout.  Clearly, Bachmann needs to look at their lighting design and make some modifications.  The cars look great and have a nice lighting effect...but way too much friction for the matching engines to overcome.

dtpowell

I admire anyone who wants to run any type of wire on string on the Kato cantenary system. It's gunna be tough to do I'm sure. You might consider leaving the wires and string off and restricting the pantographs  height. The wires prototypical would be so small if modelled to scale It would be very hard to see.

If you're looking for an operating N scale cantenary system click on the link below. Sommerfeldt of Germany makes some.

http://www.eurolokshop.com/store/sommerfeldt-catalog.html

herc driver

I had tried a small experiment of stringing black thread between the poles, and although it looked pretty good, it only looked good for a week.  After that, any dust in the room, carpet fibers, and anything else floating about seemed to land on the thread and ruin the effect.  I hope to use a monofilament fishing line and see how that goes, but getting the right color is tough.  Still, controlling the height of the pantographs would be a better choice, then plant the poles where needed and hope someone comes up with a great Nscale-friendly wire system.

jwoj69

I'm not sure if i'm just lucky, but my HHP8 pulls 4 Acela cars (lighted) without issues.
Speed is the same with or without cars.
hope this helps jack