News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Converting Analog Set to Digital

Started by DJP329, December 31, 2009, 09:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJP329

I am interested in expanding my Bachmann train set from analog to digital.  I purchased the Santa Claus Express train set and am now interested in expanding by purchasing the following:

(1) the E-Z Command DCC
(2) a DCC locomotive and a series of train cars.

The questions I have are:

(1)  Do I need to purchase another power supply to go with the E-Z Command (maybe the 5 ampo power module)
(2)  Can I upgrade the Santa Express locomotive to DCC ?  If so which of the E-Z Command decoders would I get  or is this something I should have the Service Department do (assuming the Bachmann Service Department will do upgrades)

Any advice anyone can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

Jack Johnson

Doug,

The EZ DCC alone will run about 3 locomotives on a average size layout. I can run my Climax, 2-6-6-2 with sound, and my 2-8-0 all at the same time using only the DCC EZ controller. My layout is not real big, about 12'x7' and is 2'wide. Depending on your planned layout size, I would not recommend buying the expensive power booster until you see if you need it.
If the Christmas locomotive is DCC ready, all you have to do is buy a Bachmann DCC decoder and plug it into the tender socket inside the shell. If it is not DCC ready, I have no idea how to put DCC in, sorry!
Hope this helps somewhat.

Happy New Year,

Jack

DJP329

Jack;

Thanks - Good to knoiw that the controller will drive up to 3 engines.  Hope you have a great New Year !

Best regards,

Doug

Jack Johnson

Doug,

Same to you and your family.

Jack

JohnR

The EZ-DCC should do.  With any DCC system, it's the number of things pulling power from the system that determines the amps you'll need.  If you don't plan on more than 3 or 4 locos on the layout, you should be fine.

In regard to your xmas loco, I suspect that it's a Mogul (2-6-0).  The Moguls are not DCC Ready meaning that you'll need to do some modifications to install a DCC decoder.  As far as I know, Bachmann Service will not do this sort of work.  I'd suggest going to your local hobby shop.  If they aren't able to do the work, they may know of a modeler who's willing to it.

For simple DCC control, a tiny Digitrax DZ series decoder will fit in the boiler.  If you're looking for sound too, then there's a bit more work involved because sound decoders are physically bigger and you need to put a speaker someplace.

This may appear challenging but it really isn't as tough as it may appear.  There are folks who have documented the "how-to" on the internet.

-John

mabloodhound

You are headed in the right direction, however before you buy the EZ Command, look at some of the other DCC systems out there.
The EZ Command has limitations on it's operations.
And you will want sound once you get into  this.
Get a decoder with sound and you'll never regret it.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

DJP329

John;

Thanks for the helpful inormation - I'll check with the local shops to see if they can do the upgrade.

Thanks again and best wishes for thr New Year !

Doug

DJP329

Dave;

Thanks so much for the suggestion.  I just assumed all decoders handled sound - didn't realize that it was an option.  I will definitely check and make certain whichever controller I buy has the sound capability.

Thanks again and best wishes for a gereat New Year !

Doug

Jim Banner

Quote from: Jack Johnson on December 31, 2009, 09:42:59 AM
Doug,

The EZ DCC alone will run about 3 locomotives...
Jack

I believe Jack is referring to Bachmann's E-Z Command and not to CVP's Easy DCC.  They are different systems.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Jack Johnson

Jim,

You are correct, I was talking about Bachmann's EZ Command DCC, sorry for the mistake. Happy New year.

Jack

locoron

I would suggest MRC's Prodigy starter set, if you are considering sound.
It is inexpensive, has a lot of features, as is upgradable.
locoron