Suitcase wire connectors for feeders to the bus

Started by waxboss1, December 31, 2009, 10:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waxboss1

Do they work good?

Anyone try them?

Any tips?

Or should you strip the insulation from the bus and solder the feeder to it?

What's the cleanest and easiest way to run feeders to the bus?

New to railroading with my 2 year old son, any ideas will help, thanks and have a Happy New Year.

ebtbob

I will NEVER use them again.   Over time,  some will fail and then you have to replace them.    I find that the simple attaching the drops to the bus wires directly is the BEST way.   You will want to solder the drop wires once they are wrapped around the buss or wrap the connection area with electrical tape.   Soldering is the best bet.  You will want to purchase a tool called a Strip Master.   This is a great tool to have to remove or spread covering on wire.  The only way a wrapped/soldered connection will fail is if a wire breaks.   Suitcase connectors are susceptible to oxidation causing them to fail.    I have a good friend who used to swear by them,  but now swears at them.
        Many people have used them with success and used them because they are quickest and "easiest" way to make the connection.   That may be true,  but they are not the most reliable.   
        If you decide to go with the suitcase connectors,  my recommondation is to get a good pair of vise gripes to crimp the wires and then put a "C" clamp on the connector and tighten down some more.   Be sure to test each connection before moving on to the next one.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

jerryl

I agree The most trouble free & cheapest way is to solder the connection. Just make sure you get the joint hot enough & add a little rosin flux, even if you are using flux core solder.   jerry

waxboss1

Bob I really liked your club website link. Your layout was awesome, that is something I would like to learn how to do.

I wonder if there is any clubs in  Central Missouri?

Thanks for the advice.

Cool website!!!!

ebtbob

Waxboss1,

Thankyou for your kind comments about the GATSME layout.  Remember,  that is the work of many hands over a span of years beginning in 1975 and is still being worked on today.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

CNE Runner

Waxboss - I guess I am the dissenting vote as I have used 3M 'suitcase' connectors for years and have yet to experience any difficulties. Furthermore the Model Railroader layout (and most, if not all, their featured layouts) use this product. My original layout was a fold-down affair - located in an unheated, un-airconditioned garage...terrible conditions to say the least. While the layout is dormant in the winter, I recently decided to run some trains on the old Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut and experience model railroading in the cold. After a good cleaning of the rails (the layout hadn't been used in almost a year); everything ran flawlessly.

If you are going the soldering route, I recommend a resistance soldering station (such as the American Beauty from Micro Mark). While soldering stations aren't cheap (what good tool is?) they work well in a variety of situations. Another important step in the soldering process (assuming you have kept the articles to be soldered surgically clean) is to wash off the joint (after soldering) to dilute any flux material you have used. Flux is a mildly acidic compound and can cause corrosion if left on a soldered joint.

Getting back to your question: 'suitcase' connectors are not without their flaws. You need to make sure the feeder wire is inserted all the way into the connector and remains there until you have 'crimped' the connector closed. The 3M connectors have a little window that you can use to keep track of the wire. Secondly, make sure you choose the proper connector for the gauge wire you are trying to connect; using the wrong connector may result in feeder wires that are loosely joined...leading to future troubles. Thirdly, 'suitcase' connectors can be bulky and take up quite a bit of room along the buss...especially so if you are connecting numerous feeders to the buss. And, finally, 'suitcase' connectors really should not be removed if you have 'mis-wired'...just cut off the feeder wire and leave the (now unused) connector attached to the buss.

In summary: The only connectors I use for buss-to-feeder applications are 3M suitcase connectors. [Another great product are butt connectors...great for joining small gauge wiring.] I should mention that I bring one of my micro layouts with me when we RV. This layout resides under the couch and is shaken around, placed on various surfaces to run (think: picnic tables, pieces of firewood, the couch itself, etc.) and I have never had a 'suitcase' connector fail.

Just my opinion and experience,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"