News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Engine Problem at Wits End

Started by lwmlwm44, January 01, 2010, 09:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwmlwm44

For some strange reason my DCC Proto 2000 Soo Engine with sound all of a sudden to quit running.   I get no lights, sound anything when urning it on.   I tried all the addresses on my EZ Command trying to see if for somereason the address changed on me but no luck in getting the engine to respond.    I even tried resetting the address as instructed in the manual but no luck.    My last resort was to use the magic wand hoping it would take care of the issue and set the engine back to factory settings, but again, nothing.

I know it is not a track issue as I am running 5 otherengines on the same trackwith no problems at all.

Any other tips,................figure I will have to send it in to Walthers for a look and repair.

Hope every one had a great Holiday Season out there and got to run their trains a lot.

Larry

ABC

Did it ever fall to the ground? That could cause issues with the decoder inside occasionally.

lwmlwm44

Nope it hasn't taken a tumble yet.....................

Larry

Chris350

I would suggest opening it up and making sure al the connectors are seated.  As I remember the Proto's have a number of plugs and some slip connector that can come loose.  Also the decoder may have become unseated from it's socket.  Then check the electrical pickups from the trucks and wheels.

hotrainlover

If the decoder went bad, or is "Dislodged" from the housing, the symptoms you describe WILL happen.  I agree...   Open her up and see what may be visually wrong.  If nothing use a decoder tester, and check it.  If you do not have one, send the unit back to Walthers.  Contact them FIRST, get instructions, then send it.  It also helps to get a NAME at Walthers, so you have a contact.  And yes, I have run trains all  Christmas long...  and still loving it!!

pdlethbridge

Some engines are more trouble than others and check for dirty track and wheels. Most of the time a wipe down with Iso alchohol and an all most dry rag on the tracks will cure the problem. Take the engine and set it on the damp rag and and move it back and forth to clean the tender wheels.
Another thing to check would be the connection between the engine and tender.

lwmlwm44

Thaks for the suggestions trouble is I am not very mechanically inclined and to be honest with you am a bit nergvous about opening up the engine.   But may get brave and try it and check the connections.   Usually when I start tinkering I end up with a bigger problem than I started with.

The engine is a diesel so there is no tender attached.    Will also try cleaning the wheels as suggested.

If all else will contact Walthers.

Thanks to all and best to you

Larry

pdlethbridge

If you open it, whats the worst that can happen? It breaks. Walthers will still take it back.  For your information, Bachmann diesels can have there tops off by unscrewing the couplers, I'm not sure about the protos

Chris350

Quote from: pdlethbridge on January 01, 2010, 11:10:58 PM
If you open it, whats the worst that can happen? It breaks. Walthers will still take it back.  For your information, Bachmann diesels can have there tops off by unscrewing the couplers, I'm not sure about the protos
P2k's are about the same, remove the couplers and draft boxes, and look for two small screws that may or may not be located amidships.  The body is a tight fit over the counter weight and electronics.  It straight forward to remove and replace.  Actually most all the GP and SD type locos I have opened up follow this pattern.  I'm also assuming since you plan to send it back to Walthers that you don;t have access to a good train shop in your area?  Most of the ones I deal with are willing to do simple checks like this the time it takes you to stand there and watch.  In my experience they want your business on other things so taking a couple of minutes to poke around under the hood is a good investment for them.

lwmlwm44

May try to remove that cab, and take a look.   Doesn't sound to difficult and should be able to locate the screws needed.

I do have a few hobby shops near me, one for sure does repair on Marklin Engines and equipment that I have used in the past for my Marklin stuff.   Am gong by there today to pick up a turntable in for repair and will ask them if they would be willing to take a look at it or perhaps send it to their repair man to look at.

Larry