News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question about the green boiler K-27 #455

Started by az2rail, January 02, 2010, 07:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

az2rail

Hi. Doe's the green boilered version of the K-27 #455 have a back-up light? And if it doe's, can I put a doghouse on it? Thanks.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

glennk28

from the catalog illustrations it doesn't look like 455 "before the wreck" has a back-up light.  453 was the only K-27 with a doghouse--it has a different tender body than 455--so you might have to experiment.  It's a matter of space between the water hatch and the coal slope sheet. 

For the bACK-UP LIGHT--rIO gRANDE USED A VARIETY--check the new parts listing, or try Trackside Details--they also have the "empty" plow bracket to fill those holes on the side of the smokebox. 

gj

az2rail

Thanks. None of the photos I have show the back-side of the tender. I was wondering, that being a model, Bachmann may have taken liberties and added a light.

It looks like they used the same tender for all the versions. If that is the case, I would think that I should be able to add the doghouse.

Bruce

tac

Quote from: az2rail on January 03, 2010, 08:43:57 AM
Thanks. None of the photos I have show the back-side of the tender. I was wondering, that being a model, Bachmann may have taken liberties and added a light.

It looks like they used the same tender for all the versions. If that is the case, I would think that I should be able to add the doghouse.

Bruce

Uh, nossir.  453 is a model of 453, and has a doghouse but no back-up light, just like 453.   Of course, since it's your railway, you can do what you like.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

glennk28

Actually Bachmann did three different tender shells.  453 and 464  had square rear corners on the tender tank.  All the rest had rounded corners--but 455  "after the wreck" in the early forties got a cab and tender tank from a standard gauge loco--I think an 0-6-0.  At this time it was an RGS loco. 

A group of variations nobody seems to have modeled --several K-27's went to the Nacionales de Mexico.

Back in the 70's MR had a 2-part spread with drawings of the K-27's.R. Robb has a good pictorial on them. 

gj

Kevin Strong

The #455 (both green boiler and "post-wreck" versions) have neither a doghouse nor back-up light. You should be able to fit a doghouse between the water hatch on the #455 (green boiler) tender and the coal bin. The only tender onto which a doghouse can't fit is the #455 post-wreck tender, because the water hatch is more towards the middle of the rear tender deck.

Tac, the #453 has both a doghouse and back-up light.

Bachmann makes two different back-up lights for the Ks. One is identical to the headlight, the other is a smaller affair that perches near the corner of the tender. Neither yet appear to be available as separate parts. If you've got an old Big Hauler lying about, its headlight works very well as a back-up light:

Later,

K

az2rail

Photo's in volume 11 of Narrow Gauge Pictorial, "Locomotives of the D&RGW" shows the tender of #453 having both doghouse and back-up light. This can also be seen in the Bachmann photo gallery. Page 11, picture #2. Looks like Bachmann did a good job of following the real thing.

I have ordered engine #463 with the raised light and switcher pilot. But I am thinking about getting #455 also. Just that I would like a engine with a green boiler and a tender that comes with a back-up light. More than likely it did not come that way in real life, but what the heck.

Bruce

az2rail

Kevin. You beat me to the punch about engine 453. I found the info about the tender to be what I need to know.

Thanks to all that have replied. All this will help me make my choice on engines.

Bruce

tac

Quote from: Kevin Strong on January 03, 2010, 03:07:50 PM

Tac, the #453 has both a doghouse and back-up light.K

Ok, that means that my AccuCraft K-27 number 453 is incorrect, then.

Hmmmmmm.  Want my money back, me.   :-[

tac
www.ovgrs.org

az2rail

Tac. I would not send it back yet. Your model is probably of the "as delivered" version.

My understanding is that the K-27's did not have back-up lights when they were first delivered. The lights where added to engines they felt that needed them. Mostly for switching at night I suspect. Don't know about the doghouses. I would believe it was the same for them also.

I went through this when trying to buy a MMI on30 engine. None of their models of they K-27 had them, and this is the story they told me.

Bruce

tac

Quote from: az2rail on January 03, 2010, 08:58:02 PM
Tac. I would not send it back yet. Your model is probably of the "as delivered" version.

My understanding is that the K-27's did not have back-up lights when they were first delivered. The lights where added to engines they felt that needed them. Mostly for switching at night I suspect. Don't know about the doghouses. I would believe it was the same for them also.

I went through this when trying to buy a MMI on30 engine. None of their models of they K-27 had them, and this is the story they told me.

Bruce

Hmmm, in that case I'll keep it - after all, I've had it seven years already, and never really got that upset that it didn't have the back-up light.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

glennk28

Actually, the K-27's as delivered were Vauclain Compounds, and had slope-back tenders. 

The 455 "post wreck" is a rather ugly cobbled-up thing that only a true RGS fan could love!   8^)     It rolled sideways down a mountainppbeing wartimew, they scrounged up parts to rebuild it.  it is one of a kind.  I admire Bachmann for modeling it.   All the locos Bachmann has done so far are the "outboard valve" version. (It would be nice to see the inboard valve and possibly slide valve versions.)      gj

az2rail

I think it is awesome how many variations there were, concidering how few engines they had. Every time one wrecked, we got a different engine.

Anyway- I am going to wait now on number 455. I know what I would like to do to it, and it might be wise to see one first before I buy it.

I did order #463 last week, and they told me it would take 4-6 weeks, as it is back ordered. But I received today notice that it has been shipped. Should be here by the end of the week. I can't wait.

Bruce

Ken

Bruce

Bachmann Part 88017 for the detailed Doghouse addition.

Ken
      GWN