News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Early 4-4-0 locomotives

Started by Southern Railway, January 03, 2010, 12:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich1998

If anyone ever considered the old time IHC 4-4-0, only on ebay  maybe.
IHC is out of business.
I picked up one of these, UP 119,  about three years ago. Runs very well with dcc decoder.

Lex

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: lexon on January 07, 2010, 07:50:23 PM
If anyone ever considered the old time IHC 4-4-0, only on ebay  maybe.
IHC is out of business.
I picked up one of these, UP 119,  about three years ago. Runs very well with dcc decoder.

Lex

I advise caution about the IHCs, unless you are particularly mechanically inclined. I've never had a problem with my IHC eight-wheeler decorated for the B&O "William Mason." I had a heckuva time with a "Jupiter" (in the old, "incorrect" red paint scheme with a sunflower stack). I recently came across an eBay listing for an IHC old-timer where the seller right-out said the engine didn't run and there seemed to be a problem with gear alignment. That might have been the problem with my engine.

I finally got a good-running engine out of my "Jupiter" by buying a Rivarossi "Reno" on eBay. The "Reno" was cosmetically challenged but was assured to run well. I simply swapped the "Jupiter" superstructure onto the "Reno" running gear and then swapped tender shells, too. I had a theory that all these engines, the Rivarossis and the IHCs, had been made by the same manufacturer from the same dies. I guess my theory was correct. I didn't have to make even the tiniest of alterations to make the swap.

It's been pointed out that the Rivarossi/IHC engines are oversize for scale, but that's not an issue for me.

Too bad about IHC. I need some replacement parts for one of their moguls.  :(