News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Carpet Holders

Started by MLD, January 03, 2010, 03:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLD

Is anyone aware of a product for Bachmann G scale that attaches to tracks and keeps them from migrating on carpet and wood floors when a train is running?

jward

the last train show i was at had a large scale layout laid on the floor. if you find one of these layouts at a train show, ask them how they keep the track from moving.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

NarrowMinded

For carpet I would buy some Velcro Strips and wrap only the hook part around the ties, the carpet will act as the loop. Woods another story maybe some rubber electrical wrap around the ties to help keep it from slipping.

my  .2ยข

NM

jimk4490

I have my layout on my carpet. What works great but does not look too great is to take small squares of cardboard (say 3" x 3") and place them in random areas up against the track. Then on each place a weight (canned food works great). This will hold your track down solidly and the trains will run great. The more of these you add the stronger the hold will be. They are especially needed on the outside radii of the track. Of course now your layout looks like "Campbell City" but hey, it's temporary and there is no better thing for your trains than a good strong foundation in the track.

Jim Banner

Carpet layers use wood strips that are about 1" wide by 3 or 4 feet long with a whole lot of nails in them.  They nail these with the nails pointing up all around the outsides of rooms to hold the carpet stretched out.  Some pieces of this taped/glued/wired under the occasional tie with hold the track in place and will not harm your carpet.  I would suggest one tie length strip under each joint as a minimum.  If you can fit them between the ties, so much the better.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pdlethbridge

Some easy release double sided tape would work.  After a check on the web, I found a product called track locks, both for straight and curved. They have them for LGB track and I suppose they could be used with Bachmann track as well. They hold the track together so they can't come apart.

Craig

Quote from: pdlethbridge on January 04, 2010, 11:49:38 AM
Some easy release double sided tape would work.  After a check on the web, I found a product called track locks, both for straight and curved. They have them for LGB track and I suppose they could be used with Bachmann track as well. They hold the track together so they can't come apart.

Do you have the URL for this product?

Craig

I've got two bags of those. I was hoping the "track locks" you were referring to were a product "that attaches to tracks and keeps them from migrating on carpet and wood floors when a train is running".

The LGB track ties you mentioned (I have those, too) won't work on Bachmann track.

ALCOS4EVER

They make small (about 4" dia.) no slip coasters. You can get them at a dollar store or WalMart. Cheap, easy, cut to fit if you want to.
Good Luck