News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas don' run

Started by charon, January 04, 2010, 04:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charon

Picked up a new Thomas loco at my nearest G scale hobby shop (2 hour round trip).  Got home, put it on my track, it ran about two inches, loud clattering started, and then just the motor was turning and no movement of the locomotive.  Called dealer and he said bring it back and he will switch it out. 
What are chances that I test the replacement at the store and then get it home and have it run a couple of laps and do the same as the first one?
Anybody else have this problem?
I had planned on removing Thomas face, detailing and repainting it, then use it along side my Bachmann shays and heislers just for the fun of it.  However, I would be very disappointed to do all that work and then have an unreliable piece of motive power.
Any input, thanks in advance.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

calenelson

Chuck,

and I thought my de-railing cars was a headache!!!First I've heard of this issue  ???

I haven't suffered your issue of yet (a good deal of round the Cmas tree running this season), though I've had mine open and peeked around inside. 

Thomas isn't built on the inside the way I would have hoped (with the motor directly driving eyes and wheels at same junction) but it is a pretty simple design.  here is a post that shows all the guts:

http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=12168

I'm waiting on some suitable batteries for a RC conversion then I plan to get back to running Thomas-Outside!

Sorry for your woes, glad to hear your dealer is willing to swap.  Please let us know how things turn out!

Good Luck!

cale

az2rail

Sounds like a split gear, which seems to be a common problem with Bachmann engines. The up side is that, if you are able to make the changes you are talking about, you should be able to replace the gear with no problems. There are several people on this board that have done it, and could give to directions if needed.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Mike M

Chuck I don't think you will have a problem once you get one that runs. Longwood Gardens in Pa has had one running since Thanksgiving. It even was left running over night on the Christmas display a total of 24 hours straight and it is still running. Will be there until the 10th of this month.
So I would not worry about how long it will last
Mike

gbbari

Chuck are you running the stock Thomas train or attempting to pull other rolling stock?  Using an adequately sized DC power pack?  Track clean (other engines run with no problem)?  Two failures in a row isn't normal and I just wanted to make sure we weren't all making errant assumptions about your operating conditions...

charon

gbbari,
I should have elaborated.
It was set on the track with no cars attached, using a MRC trainpower 6200 power pack (plenty of power for a 16' x 5' oval).  All track is clean as I had just run two Bachmann shays doubleheaded and also ran one of my Annies afterwards.
Thanks for all the input and will let you know how I make out.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

charon

The dealer switched out the disabled Thomas for another one.  This one runs perfectly and I am impressed with the size of it.  Definitely could be used for 1:20.3 scale.  Too bad I have to give it a face-ectomy, add details and repaint.  Will keep you informed.
Thanks for all the help.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

az2rail

To bad you had to go back, but at least you got a new one and all is well.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.