News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Which is your favorite HO Spectrum steamer?

Started by Pacific Northern, January 04, 2010, 08:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

My active roster consists of the Spectrum 4-4-0, 4-6-0, 2-8-0 and 2-10-0 steam engines.

They are all fine running engines and picking a  favorite is difficult.  But there is just something about the 4-6-0 engines that makes them stand out from the rest. 

They may not be the strongest pullers of the group, but with a bit of extra weight they handle all that I need them to pull.
Pacific Northern

lmackattack

my 2-8-0 doesnt eaxactly haul the mail but it looks so good pulling 30 old time freight cars with a little caboose

jbsmith

I got the 2-8-0 Rock Island,,since it IS my only Spectrum steamer , it wins by default.

pdlethbridge

full maxx

I like my Berkshire but the 2-8-0 is faster, pulling a heavier longer load with more rolling resistance (plastic wheels)...oh wait the Berk is not Spectrum but the 2-8-0 wins anyway
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

tac

No contest - it's my three-truck Shay.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Johnson Bar Jeff

My Richmond 4-4-0 (unlettered, pinstripes, wood cab, slide valves).

I waited forever for someone to make a good circa-1900 American.

WoundedBear

I'm one of the lucky ones who still has a couple of operating HO Climax engines on the layout.

That's going to be my vote.....these little critters are amazing to watch.

Sid

ebtnut

In On30, the T-boiler Shay.  In HO, the Richmond 4-4-0 as Ma and Pa No. 6, probably my all-time favorite steam loco. 

Atlantic Central

Well, I will break from the pack.

My favorite Spectrum loco is by far the USRA Heavy Mountain.

My ATLANTIC CENTRAL now has eight of them and they are the backbone of our steam fleet.

They pull well, run smooth and look good. We have three different versions.

Two are oil fired for pasenger service with hicken tenders, two are repainted C&O versions with the long vandy tender and four are as built version with the long USRA tender.

We also have a number of 2-8-0's, 2-6-6-2's and large driver 4-6-0's with which we are also very happy.

Sheldon

Chris350

the Climax or the Shay.. searching for coin to flip.

FECfan

CNE Runner

Easy - American 4-4-0...I feel Jeff and I are 'voices crying in the wilderness'.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

rogertra

I have no favourites.  All engines were purchased to perform a particular function and to fill a need.  I don't have any, "Must have one of those as they are cool" engines.  Makes budgeting easier and reduces impulse buying.  I feel this discipline also makes for a more harmonious and realistic locomotive roster.

Not sure of the numbers but I have a minimum of three each of the following.  Not all are currently in service.  These are the Spectrum engines: -

Heavy 4-8-2 used mainly for freight but equipped for passenger service - Slowly being kibashed with vestibule cabs and kitbashed Hicken tenders.  The Hicken tenders all converted from from oil to coal and shortened  by one water course ring to make them look more Canadian.

Light 4-8-2 used for passenger service - Some kitbashed with vestibule cabs.  Those equipped with vestibule cabs have the tender kitbashed to match the vestibule cab. Because they are the premier GER passenger engines they have running board side skirts a la CPR.  All will eventually have the vestibule cab and matching kitbashed tender.

2-8-0.  Eight of them, or more, some still in boxes.  Some with the original tender, but mostly with a kitbashed tender that's six feet shorter.  This kitbashed tender will become the 2-8-0s standard tender but in two versions as the newer version is an easier kitbash.  :-)

2-10-0.  Three of them kitbashed with new steam domes, sand boxes and other changes to make them look less Russian.

4-6-0.  Low driver.  Still in boxes.  Going to swap slide valve cylinders for piston vales and replace steam dome and sand boxes and other detail changes.

4-6-0. High driver.  Still in boxes, changes planned as above.

In addition to any changes outlined above, every tender has had high coal rails added to the bunker as a minimum.  All have tenders received step boards on the rear of the tender as this was almost a standard in Canada.  All tender will also receive deck hand rails around the perimeter of the tender deck as I've recently found out this was standard in Canada.  All engines have had bells added on the smokebox front if they did not come with them and other minor detail changes.

In addition, there are two Athearn 2-8-2s & two 4-6-2s, one P2K 0-8-0 & one 0-6-0 and three IHC 2-10-2, all have been kitbashed.

Then there are numerous diesels.

sparkyjay31

I love my 2-8-0.  Did I say that I love it? ;D
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!