News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

coupler problems

Started by PetalumaLoco, January 04, 2010, 10:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PetalumaLoco

Hi everyone.

I have returned to  N scale after 20+ years of absence, as now I have a grandson that loves trains! I bought new EZ Track for a small layout, dusted off the old train and power supply, and let 'er rip. Works ok.

Where I got in trouble was ordering 2 new Athearn 50' Overland Coaches #327. The couplers look nothing like my old ones. A trip to the local hobby shop resulted in suggestions I replace all the couplers on my old train. Nah, ain't going to happen, I don't get along with micro-surgery with tiny springs, clips and whatnot. The possibility of having to shave or shim the old trucks to get an agreeable coupler height is also not in the cards. Plus, I've been toying with buying another engine, so why not keep 2 separate trains, freight and passenger?

So now I'm looking for an engine compatible with the Athearn coaches. Athearn says the couplers are equipped with McHenry knuckle couplers.

I have an eye on a Bachmann 2-6-2 Prairie #51551 , but I don't see anything about couplers. Will this work with my new coaches?

Thanks.

ABC

Most Bachmann N scale locos I've seen come with the knuckle couplers with the optional older style couplers in a bag.

PetalumaLoco

Quote from: ABC on January 04, 2010, 10:50:15 PM
Most Bachmann N scale locos I've seen come with the knuckle couplers with the optional older style couplers in a bag.

I think I need the modern couplers, not the old ones. But I'm not sure, that's why I'm here. The Athearn coaches have scale-looking couplers.

ABC

That's what they come installed with, the knuckle couplers.

PetalumaLoco

Cool. On another retailer's website, they listed the engine as having Rapido couplers. Is that what you're talking about?

ABC

Rapido couplers are the older style, but as long as you buy a new (and not old stock) engine then it should have the knuckle (MT) couplers.

PetalumaLoco

Thanks ABC, now I know what to buy and who to buy it from.

brokemoto

Athearn sells 1880s 2-8-0s and 2-6-0s to go with those wood cars.  They are excellent locomotives.  They have couplers compatible with those on the cars.

If you do not want one of those, or can not find a B-mann 2-6-2 with appropriate couplers, let me know, I may have some trucks with Rapido couplers already mounted that you can swap in for the old ones.  I will look and trade you, if they fit.  I will do a test fit on some of my Athearn coaches.

PetalumaLoco

brokemoto

Thanks for the offer. I'm pretty sure I can run down a Bachmann engine with good couplers. I wouldn't mind Athearn, but I'm price sensitive unless you know of a place with deep discounts.

PetalumaLoco

Hey, this looks pretty handy, coupler conversion charts in Excel.
http://www.micro-trains.com/00_conversions.htm
The Prarie is listed with micro-trains coupler conversion required.
30 N scale charts, plus other scales. Someone went thru a lot of work.

ABC

That is probably because until pretty recently it had rapido couplers as the only option, but it is now equipped with the MT variety

en4cer

QuoteI'm price sensitive unless you know of a place with deep discounts.

My local hobby shop is very reasonable when it comes to prices, Jim is also very good at finding just what you need. Here is his website: www.jimshobbiesportland.com
You never know he may just have what you are looking for.

PetalumaLoco

Quote from: en4cer on January 06, 2010, 11:31:56 PM
QuoteI'm price sensitive unless you know of a place with deep discounts.

My local hobby shop is very reasonable when it comes to prices, Jim is also very good at finding just what you need. Here is his website: www.jimshobbiesportland.com
You never know he may just have what you are looking for.
bad link

PetalumaLoco

Quote from: ABC on January 06, 2010, 09:15:08 PM
That is probably because until pretty recently it had rapido couplers as the only option, but it is now equipped with the MT variety
My local shop couldn't tell me that, I'm driving blind. They weren't sure what conversion I would need to update the couplers if needed either. Heck, the Bachmann web page on this engine says nothing about the couplers.

You guys are the best source of info.