DCC equipped locomotive troubleshooting

Started by ronmonks, January 01, 2010, 06:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronmonks

I am new to the site. I have an F-unit HO scale engine that I need troubleshooting help with. Can anyone help or is there a troubleshooting guide?

pdlethbridge

Hi, Welcome to the site. What seems to be the problem?

ronmonks

The engine does not operate on either DC or DCC. In the process of troubleshooting, there is continuity from the wires running from the wheels to the circuit board. If I use two jumper wires from the track to the resisters, the engine will work. Any idea what the problem could be?

rich1998

Quote from: ronmonks on January 03, 2010, 10:34:42 AM
The engine does not operate on either DC or DCC. In the process of troubleshooting, there is continuity from the wires running from the wheels to the circuit board. If I use two jumper wires from the track to the resisters, the engine will work. Any idea what the problem could be?

those two resistors are really inductors used with the capacitors for filtering out certain frequencies produced by the motor brushes. you might have blown out the decoder by connecting to those inductors from the rails. never do that with the decoder plugged in.

did you try dcc control first or dc control first?

normally under dcc control and no movement, reset the decoder to factory specs.
did this loco come new?

lex

ronmonks

The engine was brand new and the directions stated to run it for a short distance on DC. It wouldn't run from the beginning. I then tried DCC and it wouldn't operate on that either.  I understand the possibility of my shorting out the circuit board, but I didn't attempt to jump it until after I tried both DC and DCC. I will check the instructions on how to reset it to factory specs.  Hopefully, I didn't do too much damage.

rich1998

It would help to know what brand controller you are using

Lex

ronmonks

rich1998

Quote from: ronmonks on January 05, 2010, 07:20:26 PM
EZ Command Control Center by Bachman

OK, i am stumped now. i guess i will have to buy a eZ command on ebay so i can understand its limitations.
i use the nce Power cab dcc controller.

lex

ronmonks

rich1998

forgot to metion. ove rto the left of this page in the red section, click on ez Command and look at the documents.

lex