News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Scale GG-1 (PA RR)

Started by jimk4490, January 05, 2010, 01:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimk4490

Hello, is there a company that makes an HO Scale (PA RR) GG1 locomotive? I can only seem to find N scale. Thanks. Jim

ALCOS4EVER

There have been several HO GG1's over the years. AHM sold one made by Rivarossi(?) years ago. It was powered by only one truck. It looked good and ran well if just a little underpowered. IHC sold one made by Mehano. I think it is the same as the AHM version but I'm not sure. Broadway Limited makes one with 12 wheels powered and a metal body, very nice. Tyco made one they called a GG1 it wasn't even close, stay away from it. The Broadway limiteds sell for $300.00 to $400.00. You can probably find an AHM or IHC at a train show for $40.00 to $50.00. There may have been others too, I'm not sure.

ABC

The IHC GG-1 is actually different than the AHM GG-1, but still similar. I saw a new IHC GG-1 for $55 at a show.

pipefitter

The new IHC model is from their "Premier" line of improved models. Sadly the manufacturer Mehano has closed so one would have to find the GG-1 on eBay or some hobby supplier's old stock. Here's a review: http://cs.trains.com/trccs/forums/t/142823.aspx

BTW, I am sad to see the closing of Mehano. I have quite a few of their locos from over the years. They built a good product for modest prices. Some of the last I bought were from the Premier line. They are good looking, well detailed, quiet and smooth runners.
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

Woody Elmore

Also floating around are the old Penn Line/Varney/Life Like GG-1s.  These were shorties. Since they haven't been produced in 40 or so years you should also avoid them.

Some of the AHM engines had really deep european flanges and might cause trouble on code 83 track. The AHM engines were nicely done.

A friend has several of the Broadway limited engines and they would be my choice.

jimk4490

Thanks again for all the responses. Would you say that a GG1 might give me more trouble on an 18" dia turn than say an F9 or GP20? I love the look of the GG1 but I hate when locos cause trouble and I just want something that runs well also.

ABC

I would say so, that's a 4 axle truck if I'm not mistaken, and will require a minimum of 22" radius, I doubt if it would even run on 18" radius. F9s and GP-20s have 2 axle trucks this has 4 axle trucks, and I think the IHC GG-1 even says that it requires a minimum of 22" radius.
Nope it says recommended radius, I thought it said requires. So, what the guy below me said will probably hold true, in that it will run on 18", but runs better on 22" or greater.
Also if you have a Rivarossi/AHM or any other make with large flanges it will not run on code 83 track, only code 100.

ALCOS4EVER

I have one of the older AHM units. I have to agree the taller flanges can be noisier, mine has always run on Code 100. It will definitley run on 18" radius corners though. It ran very well on my old layout with 18" radius corners. Of course it will look much better running on larger radius corners.

pcctrolleyII

I have three GG-1s in HO all three are IHC two of them are the old single motor design and on is twin motors but, all three run wonderful. Yes they will run on 18" radus but, like the one be for me said a wider radus would look better.
PCC trolleys for life.