News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dynamis on and off

Started by tiz, January 06, 2010, 09:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiz

Hello to all members and Mr. Bach-Man!

I wish to all to run more trains this year!

I have some problem with Bachmann Dynamis DCC controller, maybe somebody from the forum had the same experience. Recently I ordered new DCC Dynamis over the e-bay, from the shop in UK.
On the first power ON, left LED started to blink. I couldn't start any of my trains. Instruction says that LED blinks if STOP is engaged or you have short on the track. After some time unit started to work. It worked untill some days after I disconnected the power supply ( it is universal voltage switching PS, 100-240V, original Bachmann) and I experienced the same problem. Just left LED blinking. After some time and many tries unit started to work properly. In this case both LEDs blinking on power ON, when handheld unit is powered On and stop is removed, main station LEDs change- left one is always ON, right one is blinking during the transmission.
After that unit worked excellent for a week ( without disconnecting the power supply from the wall, but disconnecting the power connector from the station unit. I thought probably problem is in power unit ( 15.5V, 2.5A).
Today, problem is back, even if I didn't disconnect the wall PS. Left LED is blinking and I can't control any train. Just to add, measured voltage output from the PS is 15.5V DC on my digital voltmeter.
Any idea?

Thank you in advance for any suggestion!

Best Regards, Zdenko, Toronto

the Bach-man

Dear Zdenko,
First you'll have isolate the problem. Start with the power supply, then move on to the controller. This will be hard to do unless you have a friend with a Dynamis. A call to service in Philadelphis will get you some help if you don't.
Good luck!
the Bach-man

Citaro

I'm having this same problem. I tried to turn only the command station without any other connection noticed the problem. It have something wrong with power supply?

NarrowMinded

I had the same problem also, it turned out to be the lighting over the receiver I ended up placing it above the light and it works ok now, another thing that was causing confusion during my trouble shooting was the auto off, disable it while you are trying to find a happy place for your receiver. I will say i think these should work better then they do. I have a cheap R/C helicopter that works with infared and it NEVER loses a signal even when it goes out of line of sight.

NM

Citaro

Today the problem returned. I moved the command station to another place to see if it was light and didn't work.
Only after you turn off and on several times that the system returned to work normally.  But I'm afraid to damage the system with this procedure. :(

Kris Everett

you should let it rest about 30secs to a min before you power up again this should give it enough time to reset its self hope you get it working

:P

Citaro

Quote from: Kris Everett on December 27, 2010, 07:02:36 AM
you should let it rest about 30secs to a min before you power up again this should give it enough time to reset its self hope you get it working

:P

I tried this but failed. I think my system is having problems. Sometimes it works perfectly. Sometimes the left LED is blinking and nothing works. :'(

trainman1248

is still under warranty? it sounds like it a problem that you cant fix on your own. 

im sorry to hear that you are having probs with it i was going to get one once my layout got big enough but after i read some other posts I've decided to go in other directions.

Citaro

More experiences. I started to leave power supply on for longer periods of time and the problem was gone for a while.  :)
I noticed that power supply don't heat to stay long time on.

tiz

After the all possibilites, changing the outlets, receiver position, leaving Power Supply always ON, the best solution so far is new Power Supply unit.
I ordered one from e-bay, same voltage, almost the same Amps, used for some medical equipment, but new in the box. Since then- no single loss of communication! Sometimes, I see when everything is powered ON, that handheld unit needs to be close to the reciver to start, then my loco starts with sound and I can remotely control from greater distance.
During the search for the cause of initial problem I put some additional filtering capacitors inside the receiver unit. Also I touched with oscilloscope probe some wrong point and made a short.
Receiver unit was dead. That was the moment to order and check the other components. I ahve a great experience in electronic troubleshooting, but this problem was the mistery.
I ordered another set from some UK seller ( new Dynamis set separated from the whole train set).
The new set also worked ON and OFF. But this time I had two handheld units, working the same. Also I had the new receiver unit, worked the same as the prevoius. Power Supply worked the same.
So far, the change of Power Supply worked the best for me.

My regards to all forum members!

Zdenko, Toronto