News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3 Truck Shay

Started by Barney R, January 07, 2010, 02:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney R

Happy New Year to All- Will a Bachmann 3 truck Shay operate on an 18" radius layout? Thanks- Barney

WoundedBear

Barney R

mattyg1306

I have just begun running trains on my new layout (it has taken me 5 years to build but is finally STARTING to look finished...or getting close to as finished as a layout can get ;) ).  I built a 7% grade using Woodland Scenics 3% and 4% foam inclines on top of each other, and the Shay hasn't complained much pushing three passenger filled Bachmann Cass Scenic Railroad tourist cars around an 18" radius curve while starting up the 7% grade...into my homage to CSRR's Whittaker Station!  The only "problem" that has occurred so far is that it sometimes "slips" its wheels a little (but doesn't jump the track) on the way back down, but it does pretty well otherwise.  I actually have three of the Shays (so far), but one of the other two slips off the tracks on the curve, but it does in a couple other places on my layout, too (it was the "original" Shay on my layout, and has ran about a year and a half longer than the others on my old layout...maybe its just worn from old age!).

rz1600

If the shay gets off track in  or after curves the outer shafts may be worn and tend to bind.