News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

So Cal Foam Board?

Started by NarrowMinded, January 08, 2010, 12:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NarrowMinded

The Plywood Post triggered this Topic anybody know where to buy foam board insulation in Southern California, I can't find it any place and want to Try this stuff. 1" or 2" pink or blue, I don't care, I just can't find it here, I saw somebody else in a southern state mentioned it was hard to find in the lower states, they were right.

Thanks
NM

fieromike

You're not likely to find it in the big box stores, but try calling some of the larger commercial insulation/refrigeration contractors.  They use this stuff for insulation in walk-in coolers, etc.
If all else fails, you might need to call 3M or Dow to find a jobber in your area.

CNE Runner

NM - Here, in Northeastern Alabama, 2" Styrofoam insulating board is unavailable (Lowe's/Home Depot carry the 1" variety). You can stack & glue two (or more) pieces of 1" board to get the depth you desire. I realize that wasn't your question - as I understand you to say that any kind of insulating board is unavailable in your area. Personally I don't believe that. Building codes require insulation and some applications make insulating board better suited to the product for which you are searching. Celetex is another insulating product that is used under stucco and vinyl siding...have you looked for it? Speaking of stucco: masons use tons of the stuff under stucco overlays...check with a mason contractor.

Call a local structure contractor's office for their source of supply (they may even have a piece of two they would be willing to sell at their cost). Don't turn away scrap pieces as these can be glued together to suit your needs. Stress that this is for a model railroad layout (you would be amazed at how many 'doors' that statement can open). Perhaps the contractor can put you in touch with his/her supplier. While doubtful, maybe the contractor could agree to 'piggyback' your 2 or 3 sheets (always plan for your next layout) on his/her next order. It only cost you a telephone call to find out.

Good luck,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Jhanecker2

It seems odd that nobody carries insulation materials in Southern California . Insulation Keeps heat out as well as in and you do have mountains in So. Cal.  . Have to admit I Have no trouble at all in Marengo . Lowe's , Menard, Home Depot  as well as Farm & Fleet all carry .   Marengo is in McHenry County , Northwest of Chicago @62 miles.    Anybody need snow ?    I got  12"+   just Ran the Snow Thrower for 2 hours .  No charge .  John II

NarrowMinded

HI guys,

Thanks for your input, first Ray, I have been to countless suppliers BIG BOX little box, no box what ever, I am looking for 1" or 2" blue or Pink what ever color the only foam board insulation they have is the white stuff that breaks into millions of little balls. California is BIG in the spray on pump in insulation's.

Jhanecker, We have LOTS of roll in, staple in, pump it in, insulation Just none of the stuff I have seen being used on various modelers websites.

Fieromike, That's a Great Idea, I recall when my sister bought a new cooler for her flower shop years ago it had the foam board inside the panels.

Thanks

NM

BradKT

Find it from a supplier on the internet.

lescar

It's odd that Home Depot doesn't carry it, I remember seeing it but that's been a few years ago, They carry it here in Las Vegas. Sorry it's the white stuff.   :'(
All Comments and suggestions are all ways welcome and appreciated

hotrainlover

NarrowMinded,
When I lived in San Diego, I use to ask the general contractors in the area if I could have their "leftovers".  Most agreed.  (If you do not ask, it is trespassing...)

I never was able to get full sheets, but a lot of good size ones.  Plus they discard MANY other things, we can use, in their dumpsters!!
My wife hated me "Dumpster Diving", but it saved me A LOT.....

CNE Runner

HTL - Tell your wife that you are RECYCLING to save the environment...then anything is in game. It is amazing what can be found in the discard pile at a construction site. I like your advisory to ask before taking.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Jhanecker2

To NarrowMinded :  Have you considered asking any of the big box retailers if they could ship in the insulation boards from their stores in other localities  ?  Sombody in California must use that type of material in construction . john 2

NarrowMinded

Hi Janecker2,
I have asked, but I was trying to avoid doing that for one piece, my job takes me all over the Los Angeles area many times to New construction sites and I have had no luck at those sites the Board insulation they use is a yellow compressed fiber, California has a lot of stricked Eco laws and I am beginning to think that has something to do with it, even MCdonnalds even stopped using Foam containers a few years ago due to the land fill/Dump issues we have here.

I'm going to the up coming Train Show in Long Beach I am sure I will find someone there that has a source.

NM

glennk28

I have bought the pink foam from Home Depot in Phoenix, Oregon.  My local lumber yard has special ordered it.  It is there if someone wants to make a sale.  gj

ddellacca

Home Depot or Loew's both have order desks which will get you
what you want at the standard in-store price.
I have done this many times.

Dick