News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ON30 SENSE OF SCALE

Started by rusticv, January 20, 2010, 07:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusticv

Folks,
I'm new at this so bear with me. I'm looking at a two truck shay ON30. Where can I find data related to lenght, width and height of this engine ? Also, is 1:43 the corretc scale associated with vehicles for an ON30 lay-out ?

Thanks

Backseater
BACKSEATER

tac

Dear Mr rustic - the On30 Shay measures

Length - 7.5 inches - 190mm over couplings
Width - 1.9 inches - 48mm
Height - 3 inches - 75mm

And as most model cars are in 1/43rd scale, you'll have to compromise with that mis-match in scale.  American 0 scale is 1/48th 1/4inch to the foot].

Hope this helps.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

rusticv

Thanks folks. This gives me a better idea to lay out my space requirements. By the way, I'm form Montreal and have been in the states for over 40 years.

Merci
BACKSEATER

mabloodhound

I tried the 1:43 scale vehicles and found them to be too large and over-scale.
I have since been buying either 1:48 or 1:50 scale vehicles which are much closer in scale and look a lot better.
I sold all my 1:43.
Same with figures.   Look for 1:48 or 1:50 for a better fit with your On30
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

In my experience,  the people I find most readily available to me and in a price range I accept,  are a bit big for the 1/50 scale vehicles I have.  But,  that does not keep me from using both the 1/50 and 1/43 scale vehicles together on my railroad.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

ebtnut

I have a pretty large collection of the 1:43 vehicles, mostly because they fit my early 1950's era, and there are almost no 1:48 vehicles that are suitable.  The trick is to not mix any 1:43 and 1:48 vehicles in the same scene, because the difference will stand out.  I haven't gotten quite this far with the layout yet, but I'm thinking of keeping the 1:48 vehicles with the narrow gauge parts, and the 1:43 with the standard gauge area, where the slightly larger size doesn't seem to be as visually noticeable.