News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

two engines

Started by rookie, January 08, 2010, 11:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rookie

Does it help to have more than one engine, say one at the front and one in the middle or rear? Will that increase speed? I have a union pacific bachmann and i think i would like fast! thanks in advance for the expert advice i know will come.

jbsmith

Hard tellin' not knowin'.
Some variables are to be considered.
How much of a consist is being hauled? 12 cars?  120 cars?
Are there any grades?  .5%?  2%?  6%?
DC or DCC?
Are the locos them same make and model?

rookie

Only have the one engine right now. Flat track, about 15 cars. thanks,dave

ABC

If your track and locos are clean and well lubed then presuming you are running non-NMRA weighted rolling stock then it would not make it go much faster. Also what type of locomotive is it specifically? If it is an 0-6-0 switcher...it's a $40 engine and you can't expect it to run as well as a $200 engine.

jward

the short abswer is no, two locomotives won't make the train go faster. you will, however, be able to pull alot morre cars, and if you have upgrades on your layout you should be able to go up them better.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Heave

Anyone can horse a train up a hill. But getting down without bucking or being pushed off the table for the big drop at the curve is the trick.

I tend to add engines until it moves.

Or double/triple the hill.

rogertra

Of course keep in mind the model railroaders like to run their trains at scale speeds, this usually means slow.

Toy train owners on the other hand like to run their trains approaching warp speed.  :)