Bachmann Mikado 282 steam with vanderbilt tender n scale

Started by cam777, January 08, 2010, 11:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cam777

Can anyone tell me a little about this loco. Does it have traction tires? Does it negotiate insulated switches OK i.e. all wheel drive? Is it smooth/quiet?
Thanks

David Leonard

Do you mean Model Power Mikado? I'm not aware of any recent Bachmann 2-8-2. If you do mean Model Power, then I can tell you a bit about it. It's a pretty good runner, but it has no factory installed traction tire. The tender is 4 wheel pickup only. I don't have insulated switches, so I can't comment on that.

cam777

Quote from: David Leonard on January 09, 2010, 02:12:23 PM
Do you mean Model Power Mikado? I'm not aware of any recent Bachmann 2-8-2. If you do mean Model Power, then I can tell you a bit about it. It's a pretty good runner, but it has no factory installed traction tire. The tender is 4 wheel pickup only. I don't have insulated switches, so I can't comment on that.

There are a number of them on Ebay. All Bachmann.

brokemoto

STAY AWAY.  The gearing is good on this, NOTHING else is.  Buy a SPECTRUM 2-8-0 instead.  The SPECTRUM 2-8-0 is an excellent locomotive.

If you MUST have a 2-8-2, buy the Kato USRA heavy.

johnTom

I concur with brokemoto , stay clear of these. The only thing that is good about these is the gears and tender for a kit bashing project. I see it the Bachmann 2-8-2's are good for a scrap yard display on any layout.

Here's a small list of steam loco's that I have.

3  2-8-0's BACHMANN SPECTRUM
1. KATO 2-8-2
2. Fleischmann 2-8-2's
1. Roundhouse-ATHEARN- 2-8-0
I like U.S. HISTORY, railroad history.etc...

Tom

James in FL

Hi cam777,

To answer your questions:
Yes, it has traction tires on the first set of drivers.

Does it negotiate insulated switches OK?
No, as the wheel base is short and it picks power from the 3 driver sets not equipped with the traction tires, no tender pick-up.

Is it smooth/quiet?
That's subjective, but I would say no, compared to the new release of the 2-8-0 (actually there not even in the same league).

Good Luck

gsjcas

Hello fellow railroader....just some info about the Bachman Locos.....I could not disagree more with some of the feedback you have received...... I have an Empire...at least 4 sets running all the time.....I have had them all...Kato; Con Cor; Bachmann Etc. Although I really like the Con Cor New York Central "Hudson"....I can not say enough about the Bachman Locos I have. I have 2..... 4-8-2 Spectrum Light Mountain New Haven's and they not only look great (detail) but run fantastic... I also have 2 Bachmann "Big Boys" and have had the same results .. I probably have 20 or so engines from varied manufacturers....and I will tell you the Bachmann Co. is fantastic to deal with. They have handled any problem I have ever had(I can count them on 2 fingers over the years). Their customer service is second to none.......NO I do not work for them.........If you want a great Loco....I recommend the 4-8-2 Spectrum Loco that they put out....Good luck and and don't let the coal fragments get in your eyes........Trainmangs

skipgear

Quote from: gsjcas on January 16, 2010, 04:59:01 PM
Hello fellow railroader....just some info about the Bachman Locos.....I could not disagree more with some of the feedback you have received...... I have an Empire...at least 4 sets running all the time.....I have had them all...Kato; Con Cor; Bachmann Etc. Although I really like the Con Cor New York Central "Hudson"....I can not say enough about the Bachman Locos I have. I have 2..... 4-8-2 Spectrum Light Mountain New Haven's and they not only look great (detail) but run fantastic... I also have 2 Bachmann "Big Boys" and have had the same results .. I probably have 20 or so engines from varied manufacturers....and I will tell you the Bachmann Co. is fantastic to deal with. They have handled any problem I have ever had(I can count them on 2 fingers over the years). Their customer service is second to none.......NO I do not work for them.........If you want a great Loco....I recommend the 4-8-2 Spectrum Loco that they put out....Good luck and and don't let the coal fragments get in your eyes........Trainmangs

The loco the orignial poster is asking about is a 10 year old + loco. It comes from the cardboard box era of Bachmann which was not their best time. Gears cracked, motors died prematurely etc. etc. No, it is not a good loco.

Current equipment is much better but that was not what he was asking about.

BTW- Bachmann does not, and has not made a BigBoy. I think you may be referencing the Santa Fe 4-8-4 Northern. While it is much better now than previous releases, it is still geared too tall and lacks tender pickup. Fixing those two items and updating the tooling on the shell from the 70's would make these very good locos.

The Spectum light mountain is a poor performer. It is a very smooth running loco and well detailed but it can barely pull itself. There is a fix for it if you don't mind tinkering a little bit. The traction tire does not contact the rail so shimming that driver seems to help them quite a bit.

The real performer in the Spectrum line, as mentioned above is the 2-8-0. I have some that will pull 60+ cars. The other more recent Heavy Mountain is an excellent loco that is well worth owning.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

jwoj69

Quote from: skipgear on January 21, 2010, 11:12:40 AM
Quote from: gsjcas on January 16, 2010, 04:59:01 PM

The loco the orignial poster is asking about is a 10 year old + loco. It comes from the cardboard box era of Bachmann which was not their best time. Gears cracked, motors died prematurely etc. etc. No, it is not a good loco.

Current equipment is much better but that was not what he was asking about.

BTW- Bachmann does not, and has not made a BigBoy. I think you may be referencing the Santa Fe 4-8-4 Northern. While it is much better now than previous releases, it is still geared too tall and lacks tender pickup. Fixing those two items and updating the tooling on the shell from the 70's would make these very good locos.

The Spectum light mountain is a poor performer. It is a very smooth running loco and well detailed but it can barely pull itself. There is a fix for it if you don't mind tinkering a little bit. The traction tire does not contact the rail so shimming that driver seems to help them quite a bit.

The real performer in the Spectrum line, as mentioned above is the 2-8-0. I have some that will pull 60+ cars. The other more recent Heavy Mountain is an excellent loco that is well worth owning.
I agree with You. Bachmann made excellent job revising Spectrum line. I have new Spectrum 2-8-0, 2-8-2 and 2-8-8-2, and new J 4-8-4. If it comes to older versions, i still have and use 4-8-4 and J 4-8-4.
My least like engine is old version, not Spectrum 2-8-0. Still, even none Spectrum steam engine are fun and worth keeping. Don't forget that Bachmann makes most affordable N scale steam and diesel engines, not everyone can spend couple hundred for Fleischmann's masterpieces.
jack