Replacement Metal wheels for Bachmann Large Scale

Started by tacman52, January 10, 2010, 01:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacman52

All,

Getting back into Large Scale after a long absence.  Most of my "old" Bachmann Big Haulers in storage have plastic wheels.  I want to convert to metal wheels for the weight factor.

I see Bachmann makes 2 models of general purpose metal wheels.  #92421 (31.00 mm dia.) "large" and #94222 (24.5 mm dia.) "small".  Any help on if there is a general rule as to where to use large or small wheels other than look and match size?

I bought a pack of "small" wheels at a local craft type store and fit them on an older Big Hauler gondola.  It looks like the gondola was originally supplied with larger plastic wheel sets.  The car rolls well with "small" wheels but I can't tell how it will navigate a switch or cross over as my Aristo Craft track is packed away far back in the kneewall .

Any advice on the issue would be appreciated as these "non blackened" metal wheels aren't cheap and before I invest some righteous bucks on replacements, I'd like to make an informed decision based upon someone with knowledge of the products.

Thanks, and Happy New Year to all,

TACMAN52

altterrain

The large wheels would be the standard replacement for most of the cars. The small wheels are usually for 2 axle mine cars. The small wheels will work in the arch bars trucks though. I have them here in a Bachmann ore car sporting Delton trucks -

Look for a dealer who will give you a better deal on the Bachmann wheels in bulk.

-Brian
President of

Kevin Strong

Just so you know, those Bachmann wheelsets aren't known for top-drawer QC. I bought a bunch a few years ago to replace all my old plastic wheels, and found on one out of every 4 or 5 axles, the wheels weren't remotely square to the axles, resulting in a wobble on the wheelset. Of course, for the price, you could toss the defective axle and still come out well ahead of where you'd be buying the higher-end wheels. Just remember to order an extra card or two of wheels to make up for potential problems. (And if there aren't any, you've got some extra wheels "just in case.")

Later,

K

doug c

".....and found on one out of every 4 or 5 axles, the wheels weren't remotely square to the axles, resulting in a wobble on the wheelset. Of course, for the price, you could toss the defective axle and still come out well ahead of where you'd be buying the higher-end wheels. ..." 

Yeah that is what I found, but my purchase was like 1 out of 20 !

Anyways, reason did a search where this popped --- If ya find that the back to back is not say 1.575  and wish to adjust  is it possible to successfully regauge these B'mann metal wheels  ... or when they pull apart you may have just split the axle ... they just don't look like a solid axle  !?

thanks

doug c
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

Larry S.

You need to measure the back to back on all of the wheel sets. It is almost always too narrow. The wheels pull off the axles fairly easily. Kadee makes fiber washers for spacing trucks on HO cars that fit the axle perfectly. One is .010" and the other is .015". I just stack them as needed to get the spacing right.

Larry S.
Larry S.

doug c

Thanks  Larry  !

I had started to measure using my  (other manufacturer) helper, and did find the first couple were a bit narrow, but thought best to ask what happens if ... !!?   :)

later,
doug c 
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99