Bachmann "E-Z Model Railroads" planning book

Started by orangeman, January 11, 2010, 01:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

I have this book and was wondering if anyone has had trouble building some of the layouts?

For example, on page 37 there is a layout for "Iowa Central". I am using the AnyRail computer design system and when I plug in the pieces as indicated on page 37 they just don't fit.

A closer examination of the pieces on the drawing on page 37 indicates different lengths for 18" R track in the upper left corner.

Is anyone aware of a correction to this layout?

And on page 114 there are short curved sections in the layout but do not appear below in the track materials list. What are they?

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe Satnik

Dear OM,

What edition do you have?  (Copyright date would help.)

I have sent a heads up e-mail to the (latest edition) book editor Chris Lane.

Hope this helps. 

Free the 2" straights !

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Coach

Dear Orangeman,

While there is always the possibility that the drawing has an error in it, I feel pretty confident that this layout is correct. How do I know? It is in my garage right now, and I have used it as a test layout for the 6 or seven years since the manuscript for the book was completed.

Here is what I suspect is going on as I had the same problem when I was doing the book. Any CAD program is simply TOO precise. I found this out in making the drawings for the book. It is important to note that I BUILT all the layouts presented (with the exception of the legacy E-Z Track Layouts, and the Cass layout on one of the shelf layouts. I did built as test several critical areas of those two however). After I went back to draw the layouts, I kept finding little errors where the track didn't meet up. I used two different CAD Programs and encountered the same problem.

At first I assumed I has simply counted the pieces wrong or made some other notation error, but in checking the layouts, I found that wasn't true. This was a most vexing problem until it dawned on me that the track itself had much more "fudge" and wiggle built into it than any CAD does. I had to therefore go back and "tweak" the drawings so that they physically matched the actual built layout.

In general any layout drawing published is more of a suggestion rather than a "by-the-numbers" guide, and that is why I made the case in the book for obtaining some track and planning the layout with the physical components. But as long as you are not off by a steep angle where sections meet in your CAD program, the layouts presented in the book or your own designs are absolutely buildable.

And keep in mind, if there is a tiny error in any of the drawings, you have the benefit of the 2" and below sized pieces of Bachmann EZ Track which I did not when I wrote the book.

All the best,
Chris Lane

orangeman

Chris,

Thanks very much for your reply. It was extremely helpful.

I was not aware of the "fudge" and "wiggle" aspect of E-Z Track.

Now that I am aware of that, along with the availability of the short track assortment, the task of doing my layout became much easier.

As you can imagine I was becoming very frustrated. Now, life is good :)

Thanks again for your quick reply.

orangeman

On page 115 of the book there are 2 22" radius curved sections as listed in the materials. Where is the placement of these two pieces? I can't tell from the layout.

Coach

Good Question. First, I have to find a copy of my own book! Believe it or not, I don't seem to have one handy in my office. I'll get back to you as soon as I do....
Chris

Coach

OK, they should have been noted like you see elsewhere in the book, but at this late date, I can't tell you why they aren't.

Regardless, In the inner loop on the upper right hand corner right after the 2 1/4" straight you have (in clockwise order) an 18", a 22", another 18" and then the second 22".

Chris

jmbergland

Hello -

I also have just used this book (copyright 2011) to build the layout for the Iowa Central shown on page. 37.   I followed the layout example exactly, but ran into a problem in the (when looking at the diagram, upper left hand corner...) after the right turnout, going clockwise, there was a rather significant gap between the following 18" curve and the connection to the next right hand turnout. . I ultimately was able to solve the problem by inserting a 2.5" straight between the 18" curve and the right hand turnout.

I was a bit surprised, as I followed everything exactly and ordered all the parts using the exact part numbers listed. Perhaps this is due to some level of "wiggle room and fudge factor" within the track as Chris notes below.   

In any case, I think the insertion of the 2.5" straight has solved the problem.

Thanks for any thoughts or comments.

John

jmbergland

I have used this book to build the Iowa Central layout shown on page 37, but now I am also finding myself a bit intrigued by the more complex layout shown on Page 115, Plan # 19.   I see from the discussion above that Chris Lane has been helpful clarifying the location for the two 22" curves. 

Has anyone within this forum actually built this layout on a 4 X 8 bench and can help validate that I can order the parts shown from the plan?

Thank you very much for any help or comments you can provide.

Sincerely,

John Bergland

Joe Satnik

Hi, John. 

A few things caught my attention on the page 37 Iowa Central (c2008).

First, "S" curves. 

The top middle turnout left divergent route turns immediately right, forming an "S" curve.

You will have lots of derailments when backing up there.

There is also a 9" straight between opposing curves near the 90 degree crossing. 

It's not as blatant an "S" curve as the one above,

but all your locos and cars would have to be less than 9" long to avoid problems, 

according to John Armstrong.   

Second, there is an extra 10 degrees around the outside loop of the layout in the 1/3 -18"R curve in the upper left hand corner. 

It should be eliminated and replaced by some length of straight fitter, not a curve.

Throw it at AnyRail.com and see what you get for a straight length.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Dear John,

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Joe Satnik

Dear John and All,

From "E-Z Model Railroads - The E-Z Track Planning Guide & Layout Book" c2008 pg. 115
By Chris Lane and H. Lee Riley

Observations:

There may be as many as six "S" curves in this design, and since I didn't have unlimited time or space to correct them, I left them alone. 

Most of the changes were made to alleviate track center spacing problems between the 2 spurs and the 2 East-West routes at the southern (bottom) edge of the layout.

An alternative to using the 15" radius curve at "B" would have been to widen the 4 foot dimension of the bench top, move the bottom route down and leave the "B" curve at 18" radius.

It is possible that the straight fitter at "F" could be a little longer and still not cause interference with the routes above and below it.       

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

jmbergland

Hello Joe,

Thank you so much for your help with this. I really appreciate it! I will try the modifications, as I just purchased a set of the smaller tracks (.75" through 2") specifically to help deal with issues like these. These small filler pieces are fantastic!  In any case, I will try your suggested modifications and see how I make out. Meanwhile, I really wish they would make a formal notation about this in the book, as I had interpreted it quite literally as a beginner, only to be baffled when it still did not all come together properly.

Thanks again for your help!