News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Train Simulator

Started by jimk4490, January 11, 2010, 02:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimk4490

Hope I'm not going out of bounds here but does anyone have a recommendation for a train simulator for Windows XP?

Cody J

Microsoft Train Simulator is awesome. Lots of add-ons you can buy for it too
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

ABC

No matter which one you get, get this controller, it runs around $150 I think.

It is the RailDriver Desktop Cab Controller from P.I.Engineering.

jward

the two train simulators i've run are microsoft, and trainz by auran. both are good. the gp38-2 in msts has an awesome sound file, as does the f7 in trainz.

for something different, signal computer consultants offers a train dispatcher simulator. while alot slower paced that the locomotive simulators, td will have you pulling your hair out when all the trains converge on the same spot at once.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Robertj668

jimk4490
I had asked this a few months ago I provided the link below

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,10405.0.html

I liked the Microsoft train simulator and it worked well on XP. Additionally it runs well on slower computers that I have.
I like my Trainz as well but am not sure that it would run on XP well.  I have this on one of my newer computers and it runs well and I run it on an older one (3 yr old laptop with 1 gig of RAM) which runs very very slowly.

I have been able to find free and pay "extras" for both.

And for the controller ABC posted, I want that!

Finally I loved playing Railroad tycoon III and I have run that on XP as well.  Though it is not a Train Simulator game, it was still fun!

Robert

CNE Runner

A (much younger) friend of mine told me he had read, on a gaming site, that Microsoft was coming out with a new version of MS Train Simulator. My complaint with MS TS is that there aren't many scenarios to use - and one gets bored playing the same situation over and over again. I like the Sweethaven Harbor add on; but again there are only two or three problems to solve. Too bad these programs aren't as inclusive as Flight Simulator (something I used to recommend for my primary flight training students when I was in the biz).

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

hminky

Quote from: CNE Runner on January 13, 2010, 09:57:33 AM
A (much younger) friend of mine told me he had read, on a gaming site, that Microsoft was coming out with a new version of MS Train Simulator. My complaint with MS TS is that there aren't many scenarios to use - and one gets bored playing the same situation over and over again. I like the Sweethaven Harbor add on; but again there are only two or three problems to solve. Too bad these programs aren't as inclusive as Flight Simulator (something I used to recommend for my primary flight training students when I was in the biz).

Ray

MSTS2 has been dead for a long time, Microsoft disbanded that group. If you have the computer horsepower go with Trainz 2010, otherwise go with Trainz 2006.

It is great fun to run a 100 car coal train on the Clinchfield in the '70's or just run around the Reading with an 1860's train. I find it relaxing to just run trains.

Harold

jimk4490

Thanks again everyone for you assistance. I just ordered MS TS and it takes a week to get here so I'll give it a try. Are there any free downloads or downloadable instructions? Is there a tutorial that comes with MS TS? I could not find too much on the web regarding instructions or manuals. Thanks. Would love to get that controller shown by ABC; not sure it's in the budget right now.

CNE Runner

Harold,

Thanks for the update on MSTS2...I will stop looking for its announced arrival.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

hminky

Quote from: CNE Runner on January 13, 2010, 12:55:35 PM
Harold,

Thanks for the update on MSTS2...I will stop looking for its announced arrival.

Ray

I believe there are gamers with an F7 built of twigs and logs on a hill somewhere trying to conjure it's return. ;D

Harold

ABC

Here's a couple preproduction images from MSTS2

Jhanecker2

I have one of the original   Microsoft Train Simulator  Games . When I bought it , it was supposed operate on  X/P as well as earlier operating systems . I couldn'tget it to run properly  I installed it on a computer with a earlier OS and it worked very well , there is a tutorial included on the disk .  Unfortunately I  lost two Harddrives alreadyand my current computer has a new CPU operating on Vista for which the MTS2 was supposed to be created.  I am upgrading to system 7 soon .  The images from MTS2  are really good. Shame Microsoft will lose out on sales to a probably good market .  No Guts No Glory. J2
P.S.  the controller is listed in the current Walthers catalog .

Heave

I have the Tycoon series, the MSTS Original Simulator for a while. They worked well. I build my own rigs when money allows once or twice a decade and they do well.

Trainz was pretty good if you accept from the start that thier convoluted and unnecessarily complicated download files system just dont work at all. And when it finally did with the 2008 version, the bandwidth was throttled to dailup speeds. I have 6 mbits on hand with DSL and I will be damned if I have to wait 30 minutes to pull a engine file the size of a floppy disk. (1meg) I am accustomed to pulling a gig file in that time.

I have not bought any new train simulators. I prefer American Steam from the Civil War through the Post War era and all I see are either foreign engines or BNSF type engines from the big railroads.

Disclosure, I do fly FSX alot with Heavy Bombers from Wings of Power series and also the 747 from Microsoft and enjoy it well. I find it realistic enough for my local area near KLIT airport.

With that in mind, I look forward to finding a Train sim that matches my steam interests and is well done. So I just have to keep looking. I prefer to buy my software on Ebay with retail packing because Best Buy and other stores pretty much quit selling PC games and only sell mountains of Console (Nintendo TV type games) now.

I like the controller very much, but the 150 price is just too expensive... however why am I griping when I just finished that On30 2-6-6-2 at twice that amount? Hmm...

Something to think about.

hminky

Trainz is the only one who offers US steam from 1860's on, you just have to ask on their forum. There is every available narrow gauge, three and two foot, even 30inch make-believe.

I have had no problem with DLS.

MSTS and Failworks have a very lame interface that is truly awful.

Go with Trainz

Harold

Jhanecker2

Price update on Console is  $ 199.95  in  new 2010  Walter's HO catalog , was in neighbor - hood  so went to see  Local Hobby Shop to see about an order . They didn't have order but Got in new Walters Catalog , bought same.  J2.