News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MDC (Model Die Casting)

Started by GovB, January 11, 2010, 06:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GovB

Dear All,

Does anyone know the history of MDC (Model Die Casting) trains? I've seen a small number of their G scale cars on eBay but can't find much at all about them anywhere. What scale was their large scale items? What kind of quality were they? Were they much of a player in the market? How long were they around? Etc....

The only catalog I have doesn't mention scale. All it says is, "MDC PRODUCTS ARE COMPATIBLE WITH OTHER MANUFACTURERS "G" SCALE & NO. 1 TRACK" and "Your New Source for LGB Compatible Products".

Inquiring Minds Want to Know! ???

Thanks, GovB
Happy Rails to You, GovB

Chuck N

Most of their cars are 1:32, but their cabooses (cabeese) are 1:24.

Chuck

altterrain

The molds are now owned by Piko and are being made by them.
Discussion of other aspects should be done on other fora.

-Brian
President of

glennk28

NDC/ Roundhouse has been around since the late 1930's--mainly as a manufacturer of HO Scale  trains. When the "G Scale" boom hit in the 1980's they jumped in--but insisted on labeling their trains as G Scale, even though they were considerably smaller  Several of us pointed this out to them, but they did not want to correctly label their trains.  This probable led to their discontinuance of the line.  In 1987 they showed a very interesting small Shay similar to the Bachmann On30 Shay, that was closer to G scale, but nothing ever came of it.

BTW--I have two of the  cabooses I'd like to part with---if interested contact me at glenn476 (at) 4fast.net

gj

GovB

BTW,

Thanks for that synopsis of MDC's rise & fall. I'm trying to piece together a picture of the origins of G scale railroading and the different manufacturers involved. Do you have a suggestion as to where I might find more info? I found Phil Jensen's involvement with Delton, Kalamazoo, Lewis Polk & HLW a very interesting story.

Thanks, GovB
Happy Rails to You, GovB