Williams by Bachmann 40201 Scale Hudson vs. Golden Memories 773 Hudson

Started by IEP-NYC-PRR, January 12, 2010, 03:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IEP-NYC-PRR

Hello, I'm new not only to the message board but to Williams by Bachmann as well.  I have a question with regard to the 40201 Scale New York Central Hudson which is listed as 24 inches long and 4 inches high for $599.00 and the Golden Memories 40298 773 Hudson for $549.00 measuring 23 inches.  I have been told by stores that these two pieces are the exact same in all respects and that there is no difference.  When I inquire as to the difference in price people are stumped.  Could someone out there please help me with the following questions.
1) Are they the exact same?
2) What are the dimensions of the 773 Hudson and does it compare with the original 773?
3)  Can they both navigate 0-31 and 0-36 curves?
4)  What is the number on the 40201 (it looks like 773 in the catalog) and is it like the original 5344 from long ago?
How is the detail on these pieces as well as the sound and running characteristics?
5) Is it true that they both have a firebox glow?
I know that this may seem like a lot of questions but one of these will be my first Williams engine.  I do have passenger cars but not their engines.  Any help that can be provided (maybe a good photo of each) will be appreciated.  Also any good low cost dealers who are reliable too.  THANKS!

MAPA JCT

Here are the answers to your questions. I copied your post, and my reply is under your question.

1) Are they the exact same?
Answer: Yes, they are the same when it comes to the STEAM engine itself. your overall difference is the tender, the 773 tender is one inch shorter.

2) What are the dimensions of the 773 Hudson and does it compare with the original 773?
Answer: The WBB 773 is the same length: 23 inches

3)  Can they both navigate 0-31 and 0-36 curves?
Answer:No, they both require 0-42 curve track

4)  What is the number on the 40201 (it looks like 773 in the catalog) and is it like the original 5344 from long ago?
Answer: You have good eyes and attention to details. WBB probably used the 773 picture. The correct number on the engine is 5344.

How is the detail on these pieces as well as the sound and running characteristics?
Answer: Details of WHAT pieces? 773 & 5344? 5344 to Lionel's scale version, 1939? What are you comparing?

5) Is it true that they both have a firebox glow?
Answer: The firebox glow is in all of the Scale Hudson's EXCEPT the 773, which does not.

I know that this may seem like a lot of questions but one of these will be my first Williams engine.  I do have passenger cars but not their engines.  Any help that can be provided (maybe a good photo of each) will be appreciated.  Also any good low cost dealers who are reliable too.  THANKS!

Answer/comment: No matter which engine you purchase, they both have small differences:
1) The 5543 has the firebox glow, the 773 does not.
2) The 5543 has a "chuff" sound in it, the 773 does not.

And finally, the POSSIBLE reason why the 5543 MSRP is higher then the 773 MSRP lies in "firebox glow" and "chuff" in the the 5543.
I say POSSIBLE answer,  as I cannot jump into the minds of Corporate Headquarters at Bachmann. It stands to reason as to why the price is not the same. AS the old saying goes, "you get what you paid for".

Marty, MA&PA JCT
marty@mapajunction.com........web: www.mapajunction.com

IEP-NYC-PRR

Thank you sooooo much for your most helpful reply Marty.  As to the question that wasn't clear, this is what I meant. 

How does the detail on the current WBB 773 compare to the 1950's "L" 773 & the "L" 5344 to the current WBB 5543?

The sound on the Scale WBB 5543 includes a chuff?  I thought that none of the engines by WBB any longer had a chuff sound, it's not listed in their catalogue.  So it is a chuff, firbox glow, bell and whistle on the scale NYC 5543and only a bell and whistle on the 773...right? 

One last new question...will all Williams trains operate well with "L" transformers of 90 watts and up?

Take care and thank you again Marty

phillyreading

Williams trains should be able to operate using any Lionel transformer with  a 90 watt rating or higher. For the newer Williams engines I would stay way from the older Lionel transformers that don't have good overcurrent protection such as post war transformers like the KW-190 watt & ZW-250 & 275 watt versions. You can add better over current protection, like 10 amp circuit breakers by Scotts Odds & Ends, but it may get costly or tricky to wire for somebody not familiar with electrical work.

As for the chuff sound; I do not know of any Williams steam engine ever having that, at least that is my experiance. The Williams F-7 diesel engines produced about ten years(maybe longer) ago had diesel engine sounds that had a QSI company sound board installed by Williams in the unpowered B unit. The GP-9's(about eight years ago) had the True Blast horn sound unit installed that had both a diesel horn crossing sequence and a bell feature, NO engine revving sounds.

To be sure what is offered on the engine that you are going to buy, ask a question or two before buying it.

Lee F.

EIS

Quote from: MAPA JCT on January 17, 2010, 03:51:48 PM
The 5543 has a "chuff" sound in it, the 773 does not.
Marty, are you sure the scale engine has chuff?  This thread suggests that there was an error in the advertisement and that the scale hudson has no chuff.  I have no personal knowledge either way other than what is written in this forum.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,9828.0.html

Earl

IEP-NYC-PRR

Unfortunately I have heard directly from Bachmann that none of their Williams issues have any ""CHUFF" sound and that it was an error in prior publishing.

Here is another question... from what era was the Williams model of the 773 taken?  Is it a model from the 1950's "L" version with the valve guides or the reissue from the 1960's with NO valve guides?  I know I seem to ask a lot but there is no dealer close to home that carries Williams and I would have to order by phone from out of state.  This is the reason I am asking for help.  Also as far as the tender goes...how is it size and detail wise.  Does it go well with it or does the scale hudson one look better behind this unit.  I have heard that the scale Hudson version is the identical engine but with a 1" longer tender.
Thanks! :)

phillyreading

Not sure but I will venture to guess that the Williams version is a re-production of the 1964 to 66 Lionel 773 4-6-4 Hudson.
If you want more info about this engine maybe you should email Bachmann or go to the Classic Toy Train forum and ask about this engine.

Lee F.