News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Royal Gorge DCC conversion

Started by djs, January 15, 2010, 10:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djs

What decoder would be reccommended to install in the HO Royal Gorge A & B units to operate with a Digitrax Super Empire Builder system?

ABC

Well from looking at Bachmann's diagrams of the units and going on personal memory, it appears like you will have to go with an N scale decoder. So get your multimeter out and get some readings, so you know if a decoder can handle your locos or not. And you're aware you'll have to hard wire these, right?

djs

Thanks for the reply, I do know it will have to be hard wired. I wasn't sure if it could use the same decoders that Bachmann uses in the dcc equipped units, if so, what model number are they? If not, which decoder model might work?

ABC

Bachmann decoders will be too large unless you do some milling to make more space. Get your multimeter out and see how many amps it will draw, I don't have any similar units to test as they are in storage currently. I suspect a digitrax DZ143 or DZ125 would be suitable, they are certainly small enough.
Here's the DZ125 compared to a dime:

This is image is the property of Digitrax Incorporated, and I am not claiming it as my image.

djs

The units appear to draw about .35 amps individually.