Install a decoder in the Bachmann 4-4-0 American

Started by bdemaeyer38, January 16, 2010, 08:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdemaeyer38

Have any of you installed a DCC decoder in the Bachmann 4-4-0 American?

If so, what decoder did you use and how difficult was the installation?

Bruce DeMaeyer

rich1998

Disconnect the two wires going to the motor. Splice those into the Red and Black decoder wires. The Orange and Grey wires connect to the two motor terminals. If the loco runs backward when you select forward, use the controller CV's to reverse the function.
A DZ125 Digitrax decoder is very small and will fit just fine. Maybe shorten the wires when connecting. Put tape on the spliced wires and the unused wires. I did not bother with the light as my 4-4-0 had no light. I used a dab of Walther's Goo to hold the decoder in the tender.
I did this a few years ago with a Lenz decoder.

Lex

Jim Banner

Most of what Lex says sounds good, but I would not recommend ordinary electrical tape for insulating wires.  Shrink tubing is cheap, easy to use, stays in place and never leaves gooey stuff behind.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

rich1998

Should have mentioned, when I orders my DCC stuff, I ordered 1/16" and 3/32 " shrink tubing for splices and terminating wires and Kapton tape. Kapton is a thin, tough tape. Kapton tape is good for holding down the decoder. Any DCC dealer will have all three.
Decoders with wires usually have a protective shrink tube cover.
I know Litchfield has the DZ125 for about $20.00 and about $3.00 for shipping.

Lex

CNE Runner

By default I assume the American 4-4-0 is one of the older versions? I am picturing a locomotive such as the Bachmann Jupiter. If that is so, I am surprised that room was found for a decoder. This locomotive has the electric motor in the tender with a driveshaft connecting the motor to the gearing in the engine. Some time ago, I asked a rather large hobby shop in Atlanta if they could install a decoder in one of my older (DC) Americans and was told; "...there isn't enough room." As far as I know all the Spectrum Americans come equipped with [at least] a DCC decoder from the factory and would not apply to the subject of this thread.

More information if you please. Many thanks,

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

rich1998

I was thinking the old time tender drive American as the Spectrum 4-4-0 is very easy. I was also thinking he has the loco in hand. Might be wrong on all three.
First photo is the old time Bachmann tender. A dz125 will fit very easily in there. Four wires are all I used.

A IHC old time 4-4-0 done a few years ago.

All wheel pickup mod for the tender. Harold's idea. I solder the wires to the pickups before attaching though. Big difference. uses kadee springs.

a picture is worth a thousand words so that is about three thousand words worth.

lex

rich1998

the DZ125 decoder. TCS has one or two about equivalent types. This decoder could easily run a Spectrum 4-4-0 or 4-6-0 if you do not need sound. Probably even a 2-8-0. I have not measured the DC current on the 2-8-0 so cannot say for sure. ONly measured the 4-4-0 and 4-6-0.

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_mobdec_dz125.php

lex

bdemaeyer38

To clarify, the Bachmann 4-4-0 that I am considering is the brand new one offered by Bachmann now.

It sounds as though the new one is easier than the older model.  Am I correct in that assumption?

Bruce DeMaeyer

rich1998

I wish you would have said Spectrum 4-4-0. It would have been a lot easier. Yes, all the decoder needs a a 8 pin NMRA plug.  Look at the site diagams for the loco.
Below is what my 4-4-0 DCC on board looked like a couple years ago.

I don't think this loco comes DCC ready, that is no decoder.
Which brings up a question that begs asking.
did you mean a sound decoder?

Lex

CNE Runner

Lex, great pictures and some very useful information. There seems to be loads of room in the older Bachmann 4-4-0 tenders for a decoder. I liked your use of Kadee coupler springs for power pick up. I am in the process of building a turntable out of a CD/DVD and case. One of the 'thorny' questions was how I was going to bring power from a central assembly to the PC ties soldered to the table track. I think you have solved that problem for me. Many thanks.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

rich1998

Glad to see Harold is still around. He has a lot of good ideas. The pickups are one of the best so far.

Lex