How to stack boards on their edges for table railings?

Started by AlanMintaka, February 09, 2010, 08:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanMintaka

Update: First two rails are in place, joined by driving 3-1/2" #10 wood screws down through edge of top rail, countersunk about an inch.  The countersinking drives the screw at least 1" into the bottom rail.

The rails are joined horizontally at one of the table's 90 deg corners.  They were held in place with large C-Clamps and one small corner clamp used to line up miter joints.  These ends weren't mitered though - just flat-butted.  2" #10 wood screws were driven into the corner.

The top screws were positioned every 12" on the rails.  In length the rails are 6' and 8'.  The 8' one will actually be side-spliced with another rail, making the total length of that rail about 13-14'.  It's a pretty fat table, L-shaped.  The 13' rail is one side of the L.

It feels pretty solid.  Time will tell if there's any visible warping with just those top-driven and corner screws for support.  Hopefully the 5/4" lumber will stand up to time better than 3/4" would.

If there's any sign of bowing, I can just add those metal splicing plates, or maybe even short cleats (below the level of the foam landscaping) driven up through the bottom of the table. 

So far I haven't used any yellow glue.  I thought if the assembly felt wobbly or loose somehow, I might unscrew it, add the glue, and screw it back into place.  I can always do that later if needed.

I'm trying to do this table with screws everywhere in the event that I ever need to disassemble and move it.  That's why I'm going to hold the glue in reserve. 

I'll add mushroom or flat pegs to fill the holes when I'm done.

This whole thing is being done on a wicked tight budget, which is why I have to work with as much stuff at hand as possible.  By the time I finished buying the lumber and a long 1/8" drill bit for the vertical screws, I had "change left from my dollar", but that was about it.  Those doweling jigs and biscuit cutters look tempting, but then so does food for the rest of the month!

I couldn't find any examples of wood being joined edge-to-edge this way anywhere on the internet.  Evidently this isn't the best way to do it.  The right way is undoubtedly done with dowels or biscuits per the suggestions here.  I'll probably find out about the reasons as I go along.

But right now, it's working!   

Cell phone pics to come later.  I'll attach them to this thread as an update.

Have a good one,
Alan Mintaka

"I believe a leaf of grass
is no less than the journey-work of the stars."
--Walt Whitman