N Scale "EZ Track" Layout with Muliple Switch / How to Connect?

Started by mdo1998, January 17, 2010, 10:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdo1998

I've purchases for my son an EZ track N scale system and purchased some extra track and four swtiches, so I could build one of the layouts shown on the box. My issue is that the train stops when entering any of the swtich zones. I have not yet connected the switches to the power supply and understand they need to be powered for the trains to work on these sections of track.

What I can not determine is how to connect them together. I can easily attach the switches to the track but not the power supply. I envisioned powering all of the switches in series and then running one set of wires into the power supply but none of the connectors are the same meaning the power supply appears to require bare/stripped wires, the switch cables have medium sized crimped blades, and the switch boxes require some sort of connector in a plastic housing on one end and what appears to be a really small metal blade connector on the other end. I've look at muliple websites looking for a picture or even an electrical diagram to confirm how the switches should be connected figuring I would then need to cut off the various connectors and simply hard wire everything. But I can't find any diagrams. Any one have something they can share or suggestions to avoid removing the connectors and going the hard-wire route?  Any idea why these EZ track accessories don't easily connect to the EZ track power supply? Seems very confusing for what should be very simple and in fact EZ. 

ABC

QuoteMy issue is that the train stops when entering any of the swtich [sic] zones. I have not yet connected the switches to the power supply and understand they need to be powered for the trains to work on these sections of track.
No, the turnouts do not require any power whatsoever for the train to run over them, what your problem is is that you do not have enough electrical pickup with your locomotive.

Joe Satnik

Dear mdo1998,

If I recall correctly (IIRC), Bachmann's N Scale EZ-Track turnouts are power routing, meaning no power goes to the divergent route unless the turnout points are moved to the divergent setting. 

I am not sure if power is cut off from the main route when the points are in the divergent position.  (Assuming track power is supplied to the stock rails at the points end of the turnout.) 

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

James in FL

Hi mdo1998,

On your turnout control boxes,
Position the box with the slide switch so it throws from left to right and is furthest away from you.
Plug the red wire from the output AC terminal on the power supply into the right side of the box (2 pin male connections).
Plug the green wire from the switch track into the 3 pin connecter (which should be facing you).
Plug the next box into the first, on the left side connection pins, and repeat for as many switches as you have.
The red wire that comes with your turnouts should have a female plastic connector on one end and sta-cons crimped to the wires on the other.
Sta-con side to the AC terminals on your power supply no modification needed. Female connecter plugs to the switch box, again no modification needed.

QuoteNo, the turnouts do not require any power whatsoever for the train to run over them, what your problem is is that you do not have enough electrical pickup with your locomotive.

The energized coil is what holds the points tight to the stock rails. Without power, they will not reliably hold fast. The internal spring is not strong enough to bet the farm on.

Joe is correct the turn outs are in fact power routing, therefore your terminal/re-railer track must be positioned somewhere at the bottom of the Y of the turnout or the trains will stop.

If you can draw a simple diagram of your layout and post it here, we can tell you where the terminal track needs to be.

I hope this helps you, if not, I can post a picture after I get off work late this evening.

Good Luck

GlennW

Not sure if you need a Atlas Connector box in between your turnouts & your power supply. Most of the time you will switch 1 at a time. A LHS should be able to help you.

Something to consider is having some extra power drops from your power supply to the rails. You may not rely on just the rail joiners to carry power throughout the layout. Having a drop for every 3ft of track is a good ratio. Atlas sells rail joiners with soldered wires you can use.