need help on Large Bachmann Train set

Started by Calicheese, January 17, 2010, 04:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calicheese

We only have intermittent power or train movement.  Track peices have all been inspected and appear to be good ... where do we look next?  4 year old son anxiously awaiting on the tracks.  Can you help as track was just purchased yesterday.

Jim Banner

Can you hear an intermittent click from the power pack?  This plus the stopping and starting usually indicate a short circuit somewhere.  If you have the large scale Big Hauler set with a 4-6-0 locomotive (4 small wheels followed by 6 big driver wheels) the most likely cause of a short is the 4 small wheels running backwards.  The 'I' shaped front truck that holds the four small wheels usually has an arrow on it showing which way should be forward.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ABC

If the tender wheels are metal (pick up power) and turned around this also could be a problem.

Joe Satnik

Dear Calicheese,

How does the headlight behave?   

What happens if you flex the "power pack to track" power feed wire near its ends?

G Scale Big Haulers do not have tender pick-ups unless they have been modified by a previous owner.

Try running your finger over every track joint in both directions.  If you hit a "snag", you have found a rail that is half or fully out of the rail connector of the adjoining track piece.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jimk4490

Is the foundation of your track good and strong? I have noticed that when my track has play in it that I'm left with lots of problems. The track needs to be very well supported so it is sturdy and cannot move around. When I lay track out on the carpet I secure it with pieces of cardboard butted up against the track and then weights placed on the pieces of cardboard, essentially securing the track in its place.

Loco Bill

Your problem is definitely some kind of short, either on the track or the loco.

Bachmann power packs (transformers) have an automatic circuit breaker.  when there is a short, the breaker trips, then resets itself.  If the short is still there it trips again. That is why it keeps starting and stopping.  In addition to the great suggestions already noted,  check to be sure no metal object is laying across the track. Also check the wires from the power supply to the track and make sure there is nothing shorted there.

Let us know how you make out.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

ajzend

I'm new to G scale, but not to trains.  I recently picked up a third generation big hauler that was running intermittently.  I found that a minor whack on the power pack would get it going again.  I changes to an old HO transformer that I had, and the problem was solved.  Also I did clean the track and pick-up power wheels on the pilot truck.