News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

what are they

Started by Daylight4449, January 17, 2010, 08:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

can anyone identify the track attachments in the pic? oh and how do you clean brass track?

full maxx

look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Daylight4449

rogertra

Still no photo and the best thing for brass track is the nearest dumpster.

Daylight4449

try now, and i paid for this brass track so i aint goin to throw it away.

jward

you can use the track at the ends of sidings or anywhere else a locomotive won't venture. brass track is harder to keep clean than other types that's why most won't use it. but if you have it you can find places for it where keeping the rails clean won't be a problem.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

I can't identify the devices on the track. However, in defense of brass track, I have some on my layout.  It conducts current as well as the nickel silver.  Once it's weathered, it's difficult to tell the difference from the other track.  I used it because I happended to have some.  Was prepared to tear it up if it didn't work.  But I have had no problems with the brass.

Regards,

Jonathan

pdlethbridge

I would think it could be either a set of terminals to connect power to the track or a powered uncoupler

Jim Banner

My experience with brass track is very similar to jonathan's and most other people who have actually tried it on their layouts.  My H0 layout is about 1/3 brass, 1/3 nickel silver and 1/3 steel.  No one type gets dirty faster than the other two.  In fact, I rarely have to clean any track at all as long as I oil it very, very lightly once or twice a year.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

rich1998

Here is an enhanced photo.

Some years ago I was at the home of a former president of our mrr club. The layout was all brass track and his locos ran very well. He always kept the track clean.

lex

Joe Satnik

Run a magnetic compass around it and let us know what effect it has on the needle of the compass. 

Are there any terminals for wires on it?
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Daylight4449

It has no terminals, there is a knob off to the side and over 21 rail, a small wheel perpendicular to car wheels.

rich1998

I did some more photo enhancing and there looks like a small wheel with one edge at one rail or slightly over the rail. It almost looks like the wheel is laying on the edge of the rail.

Lex

Daylight4449

the wheel is over a depressed section of rail.

Joe Satnik

Is it magnetic, i.e. will it attract a paper clip?  Is it permanently attached to / part of the track or can it be removed?  Is anything metallic touching the rails? 

By perpendicular, do you mean the small wheel is parallel to the ground, or still standing on edge?

Does the wheel tighten/loosen the attachment's grip on the track?

Have you posted this on the Atlas board?

Can you show a closer photo (clip only) with better lighting/focus?

Not sure what you mean by "21 rail".

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.