Intermittent track shorting with Spectrum 2-10-0's

Started by Frankv, January 17, 2010, 08:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankv

I have 2 Spectrum Decapod 2-10-0 steam locos. These are DCC ready, I think. I'm running DC. I tend to buy a whole bunch of train stuff at one time on the Internet, to save shipping. About 6 months ago I took these out of their boxes and found they did not run. After testing the rest of the new locos I tried these again. This time they ran OK. So, I put them aside to worry about some other day. Yesterday was that day. I took them out to run on my layout. Each one ran OK for about 15 minutes then stopped. One of them started up again and ran about a foot, then stopped again. Each time I've checked the track voltage after failing to run and found it shorted out. Anybody know what is going on? Is there an intermittent short? In two different locos? Seems unlikely. If the track or wheels are dirty the track wouldn't be shorted, would it? I found a post "HO 2-10-0 disaster" by Larry Smith with the same sort of problem. It was suggested that the tender trucks could be reversed. In that case it wouldn't run at all, would it? Larry Smith sent his back to Bachmann who found they ran OK and wouldn't replace them. Like the car that runs only at the repair shop.

ABC

This is going out on a limb, but your locos may be over lubed.

Daylight4449

Frankv

Quote from: ABC on January 17, 2010, 09:13:54 PM

ABC, I haven't lubed them. I know most of my Bachmann stuff is dripping with lube.

ABC

Quote from: Frankv on January 17, 2010, 10:36:10 PM
Quote from: ABC on January 17, 2010, 09:13:54 PM
ABC, I haven't lubed them. I know most of my Bachmann stuff is dripping with lube.
I didn't say that you lubed them, but they may be over lubed straight from the factory.

Frankv

Quote from: Daylight4449 on January 17, 2010, 09:54:51 PM
could they be from the bad batch?
Daylight, what "bad batch" are you speaking of? Are you referring to Larry Smith's post of 3/06/3008?

the Bach-man

Dear Frank,
There was a batch of decapods some years ago that had this issue. There is a contact strip that shorts out against the axles. It's easily fixed by putting a piece of tape or other insulating material between the strip and the axles.
Did you buy them new? From whom? If you are the original owner and bought them from an official dealer they will be covered under the warranty.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Frankv

Quote from: the Bach-man on January 17, 2010, 11:26:30 PM
Dear Frank,
There was a batch of decapods some years ago that had this issue. There is a contact strip that shorts out against the axles. It's easily fixed by putting a piece of tape or other insulating material between the strip and the axles.

Dear Bach-man. Now I'm confused (not unusual for me). Yes there are copper strips rubbing on all 4 tender axles, but it appears to me that is their intended function. Otherwise why would they be there? I bought these new from an official dealer on the Internet who sells old new stock.

Frankv

Dear Bach-man,
Thanks for your reply. Sorry,  I got my reply to you stuck up in the quote box, so you might miss it. I need more info on these copper strips rubbing on the tender axles.

the Bach-man

Dear Frank,
The issue of which I speak is a strip along the top of the driver axles in the locomotive. I would start by checking the wheels on your tender to make sure they're lined correctly.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

tiz

Hello Frank,

This is well known problem of older decapods and it is easily fixed. Just search this forum and you will find similar problems solved. Locomotive has wheels cover made from plastic. When you remove it ( carefully), you will see two flexible copper strips, each side deliver current from the wheels. After some time these tracks move from the plastic ( mostly in the middle) and make electrical contact with closest driver axle. Some people put glue and moved strips back, close to the cover. I just placed 3cm long strip ( cut to the width of the copper) of electrical tape to cover the exposed copper track.
Here on the site you can open the exploded diagrams for 2-10-0 and DCC ready version has insulator added. After the modification loco is working perfectly and it is ready for my DCC and sound addition. Tender is not a problem in this case.

Regards
Zdenko

Frankv

Ah, at long last I understand what to do. However, at the risk of appearing ungrateful to all those who responded, I am going to send these 2 Decapods back to Bachmann for repair or replacement. My reasons: 1) I am the original Mr Fumble-fingers when it comes to this sort of repair, and I would hate to screw up these beautiful engines. Something external I might undertake, but "inside the engine I do not go".  2) They are under warranty, and I don't think I should have to undertake something risky in order to fix what is apparently a design flaw. I am truly grateful to all those who took the time to respond.

BaltoOhioRRfan

The fix isn't at all that risky. I did it on mine. just need to pop off the bottom cover and put a peice of tape over the copper strip to keep it from touching the axles.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF