News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sheldon: Thanks for instructions

Started by lanny, April 26, 2007, 11:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lanny

Hi Sheldon,

Thanks for the very complete and well detailed set of instructions on adding diaphragms to passenger cars and coupler adjustment received in the mail today.

My layout has 32-36" radius curves, so this will be a modeling project that should work very well. I'm putting together an ICRR 4-8-2 with non-streamlined Harriman passenger cars to model the "Iowan"/"Hawkeye" that ran behind 4-6-2 and/or 4-8-2 steam into the early 50s in Iowa. I'll use your instructions to create the prototypical diaphragms on that train as I model it (two coaches, a diner, and 'head-end' cars).

Thanks again for the great instructions.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Atlantic Central

Lanny,

You are most welcome. That sounds like a great project. As I am sure you figured out, the info in the instructions is easily adapted to most any brand of car.

And the extra work shaving off any molded on diaphragms really makesa big difference in the final appearance. When people come vist my layout, which doesn't even have any scenery yet, the most common comment is "that's a great looking passenger train".

On display on my layout is a train of ConCor shorty streamliners, lettered C&O, that are nearly stock except for the diaphragm improvements and different trucks.

Best of luck with your project.

Sheldon 

r.cprmier

Sheldon;
I have a problem with my passenger cars thqt maybe you can shed some light on.  Like Lanny, I am using diaphrams on my equipment; I do have them fairly tight because on prototype, there is no "daylight" between the diaphram ends, and i was trying to achieve that.  Now, even on 36" rad. the cars tend to catch each others' corners, the result is a massive derailment.  I have some curves in tunnels, and would rather not have this phenomenon occur, even once in a blue moon.
I have entertained the possiblilty of some sort of spring load arrangement for the coupler mechanisms.  What say you?
I'll hang up now, and wait for your response (too much talk radio-George Norre?)

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Atlantic Central

Rich,

A couple of questions,

What brand/brands of passenger cars?

What kind of diaphragms are you using?

What Kind of couplers or coupler mountings are you using?

Even before you answer I can tell you a few things.

If you are using the diaphragms that came on the cars, that is your problem. The only "factory" diaphragms that have a chance of actually working while touching are the new Walthers cars and Branchline cars. And even both of these have some potential problems.

Those being that the Walthers diaphragms tend to be too stiff and the Branchline ones lack enough flex for all but the largest curves.

If you are refering to the Bachmann molded rubber diaphragms, they will not work close coupled, except maybe if you have 100" radius curves.

The other part of the equation is the couplers. Longer shank couplers, mounted farther back on the car, result in less closing up of the space between the cars as they go around the curve. I use Kadee #36 and on Bachmann cars simply remove the swivel pocket and drill a new mounting hole.

I use American Limited diaphragms on every passenger car and I have developed standards for most brands of cars. I would be happy to send you a copy of the instructions I sent Lanny. They outline several steps necessary to get the closest possible car spacing, have the diaphragms touching and have reliable operation, even on curves much smaller than 36".

The American Limited diaphragms, if you have never seen them, are actually two seperate pieces, one mounted to the car, the other floating on very light "springs", much like the real thing. They come in several styles and colors to represent different prototypes and can be painted without effecting their operation. They are similar to the diaphragms on Proto 2000 diesels if you have seen those.

Contact me off list if you want a copy of the instructions.

Sheldon

r.cprmier

Sheldon;
I am using American Limited" diaphrams on all of my passenger equipment.  My heavyweight cars are mostly be Athearn.  I think I will look into your idea of using Kadee#36 couplers.  It makes sense to do it that way, because of the "bell crank" effect you will get on corners, and no noticable wpacing between the cars.   Thank you.

RIch
Rich

jsmvmd

Dear Sheldon,

Would you be so kind as to send me the instructions, also?  I have several projects in the works and sure could use the information.  Thank you kindly!

Best, Jack

Email:   jsmvmd@aol.com

Atlantic Central

Rich,

I have a large fleet of Athearn cars. I use the Jay-Bee coupler mounting pads with the Kadee #36 on them. One extra trick, the easy way to get the coupler in just the right spot is to install the first half of the diaphragm to the car, then postion the coupler so that the inside face of the knuckle is flush with end of the diaphragm frame. I hope that explaination makes sense, its much easier to "see" on the drawing.

Jack,

I will contact you off list and make arrangments to get a copy to you.

Sheldon

Mike

Sheldon- I received the information. Thank you very much. It looks interesting!- Mike S.

jsmvmd

Dear Sheldon,

Many thanks for the fine instructions.

I hope everyone here appreciates this fine lad!

Best Wishes,

Jack

Atlantic Central

To all,

Thank you for the kind words, everyone is most welcome, glad to be of service.

This information on diaphragms is the result of a fair amount of research and experimentation over the years as the topic of working diaphargms and close coupling has always been an area of interest for me.

I am now successfully able to e-mail the info, so anyone else interested is welcome to a copy.

Sheldon

barrowsr

Sheldon,

I'd like to see a copy of your passenger car instructions.  Thanks very much for sharing.  rhbarrows@centurytel.net

Regards,

Robin

jsmvmd

Hey, Shel!

Perhaps you should charge us for this stuff!! See what you started?!!!

Best, Jack

r.cprmier

Jack; you're gonna kill a good thing here...
Rich
Rich

Atlantic Central

Maybe one day I'll write a book and maybe someone will publish it.

But until then, I'm happy just to pass on what i have learned.

Sheldon