News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

44 TON SWITCHER

Started by jwoj69, August 29, 2009, 02:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwoj69

Few months ago Bachmann started selling their new N scale engine, 44 ton switcher.
Seeing pictures ( making it look like toy, generic plastic color, details in question), i waited until last week.
To my surprise, the engine has superb detail, very accurate colors. If it comes to performance, build in decoder, very slow scale speed, led lights, scale wheels and trucks!
One of the nicest details are railings, very thin, most accurate i had ever sine.
Everything is factory installed.
I have Atas VO-1000, it's very nice, but most railings (plastic and metal) were not installed. Job was not easy, plastic railings can break almost without any force.
Comparing both engines, value, detail, performance i will say Bachmanns 44 ton switcher is a winner!!!
For me one of the nicest addition this year so far. Street price (RTR, Factory DCC) is less than $60!
For anyone looking for new switcher, i can say honestly, put it on Your must have list!
jack

big al

My 44 tonner runs like a wildcat.  I don't think the speed is prototypical and I can't seem to slow it down.  And as far as "crawling" like I  think a switcher should - it doesn't.
Anyone have any thoughts on how to program the decoder?  Would appreciate a 14 speed step CV by CV list, if possible.  (I am still trying to wade thru programming CVs in my various locos with varying success.  Some work great, others not so great.)
Wish Bachmann would post the programming codes on their website for locos that they sell with built-in decoders.  Hello, are you listening, Bach Man?  Or is it on there somewhere and I have just missed it?
Thanks/

fieromike

ISTR reading somewhere that there are "issues" of some sort with using 28 step decoders in 14 step mode.  That might be why you are having problems with some of your other engines as well.

Mike

jwoj69

Quote from: big al on August 31, 2009, 07:08:37 PM
My 44 tonner runs like a wildcat.  I don't think the speed is prototypical and I can't seem to slow it down.  And as far as "crawling" like I  think a switcher should - it doesn't.
Anyone have any thoughts on how to program the decoder?  Would appreciate a 14 speed step CV by CV list, if possible.  (I am still trying to wade thru programming CVs in my various locos with varying success.  Some work great, others not so great.)
Wish Bachmann would post the programming codes on their website for locos that they sell with built-in decoders.  Hello, are you listening, Bach Man?  Or is it on there somewhere and I have just missed it?
Thanks/

I'm sorry to hear about Your problems. Mine runs as described without any extra programing, and all i'm using is MRC Prodigy...
jack

brokemoto

I do not use DCC.

The decoders in these things seem a bit quirky, compared to those in the USRA heavy 4-8-2 (now watch, someone is going to tell me that they are the same).  Funny thing, though, the USRA heavy 4-8-2 goes through the speeds nicely, from five to fifty five SMPH on both pulse and straight DC (or as 'straight' as recitified DC can be).

The 44 tonner is different.  I have one that runs nicely and creeps just like a switcher should, five to ten  SMPH on both pulsed an no pulse DC.  I had another one that would not creep on no pulse DC.  It would creep on pulsed DC, except sometimes it would change direction, even though I did not change the direction on the power pack.  Usually the direction change occurred if I turned the throttle to zero, but sometimes it would suddenly change direction even though I had not touched the throttle. 

Funny thing, a gentleman on another forum, who is a hardcore non-DCC guy took out the decoders from his and could not stop singing their praises.  I tried it on this one, and,  mirabile et dictu et visu ,  the thing performed even better than the one in which I left the decoder.    This thing will hold a steady three SMPH while pulling six cars and a caboose on straight and level (which must be close to the prototype's capability).

If you want slow moving freight trains, this thing, the Atlas Baldwin and the MP 2-6-0, with either a SPECTRUM or Kato USRA Standard (the SPECTRUM USRA switcher tender will also work) swapped in for the stock MP tender will make good power for them.

Now, if only someone would come out with some small passenger power that can actually pull something.  The MP eight wheeler is not bad, but, sadly, it has no pulling power (what do you want from an N scale eight-wheeler, anyhow?), even when you swap out the stock MP tender for a Kato or SPECTRUM.

If someone would come out with some small steam that can pull, there might be a greater demand for Bachpersonn to reissue the shorty 'standard' cars (see topic on those).

Anyhow, the 44 tonner is a winner, be it for DC or DCC and is something that N scale has lacked for some time.  The improved three axle industrial switcher was a glimmer of hope that a decently operating pint sized diesel could be done, the 44 tonner has proved conclusively that it can be done.

B-mann might want to consider selling it without the decoder.  The thing REALLY performs without it.

r0bert

Frank C

I see the newer run of 44 tonners has an automatic coupler. Will this fit the older units? If so, will it be available soon as a replacement part? Thank you.

Frank

Frank C

Not wishing to belabor the point,  but will we be getting a coupler upgrade kit for the initial run of the 44 tonner? Would prefer automatic coupling.

Frank

the Bach-man

Dear Frank,
I'm sure the new coupler will be available from service.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

skipgear

Quote from: big al on August 31, 2009, 07:08:37 PM
Thanks/

This probably a little late for Big Al but I had one of the initial run 44T's that acted as he described. I was pulling it apart for photo's anyhow so testing it without the shell on it, I happened to push on the decoder board and the loco started running fine. I traced it to a cold solder joint on one of the large capacitors mounted in the area of the cab. I touch of the soldering iron and it was fine and dandy.  I'm not suggesting the average person should have to do this but it is a place to look for the tinkerers out there.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950