News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Introduction of the so-called 'Annie'.

Started by tac, January 20, 2010, 01:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tac

Dear Bach-Man - please advise me as the the actual date-in-store of the improved ten wheeler we all call the 'Annie'.

i bought mine in the Train Stop in Santa Barbara [I think] back at the end of 1998, but my recollection is a mite hazy...

Best

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Joe Satnik

Dear TAC,

Annies first appeared in the 2000 catalog, 4 roadnames and P-U.   

Three more roadnames were added in 2003. 

I stopped tracking info in 2004. 

Loco Bill has more complete and up to date info.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

tac

Thanks, Joe.  ;)

Much obliged for that. 

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Loco Bill

Tac,
Joe pretty much answered your question,  Some have told me they were first in stores in very late 1999.   Others swear that they were never available til early 2000.   I do have a list of all annies and dates introduced. including those in the sets, but I would have to dig it out.

Let me know if you need more info.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

tac

Thanks, Loco Bill - 2000 it was.  May, in fact, I have found a photo of our summer fair on base and there it was running its little heart out on my portable track.  Three months later I retired from the military after 33 years, 356 days!

I'm now going to take the liberty of quoting you on another, equally well-respected forum.

Thanks, All.

Best wishes

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Jim in MO

Loco Bill you mentioned; "I do have a list of all annies and dates introduced. including those in the sets, but I would have to dig it out.
Let me know if you need more info."

I think my questions on that other board spurred TAC question and yes I would be very interested in your list of Annies if it is something you can easily lay yours hands on.  Do you have a similar listing on the big haulers?  Thank you for any info you may be able to provide.

Jim

Joe Satnik

Hey,

Here's an old thread with Annie info from Loco Bill:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,8674.0.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Loco Bill

Terry,

I too retired after 33 years of service back in 1995.  I had a great time in Alaska with the Princess Patrica Canadian Light Infantry on joint maneuvers in 1963.   I sure enjoyed the Canadian Invasion of the US!!  Your pals stopped by my layout on the way to Marty's after visiting Ric.   Also I have always enjoyed your club website over the years.  I don't mind being quoted, but always appreciate being told about it. Please let me know offline where you posted it!

Jim in MO

Jim where in MO are you?  I am in New Truxton
This list is more complete than my earlier list and corrects at least one error in that list the WP&Y set loco is no 14 not 12.
Here is a list of the Annies that I know about:

81000   NP&S   12   2006   ~ Loco   4-6-0, 10th aniv, North Pole & Southern Ver 5         Sam's Club Set
81000   NP&S   205   2005   ~ Loco   4-6-0, 10th aniv, North Pole & Southern Ver 5         Sam's Club Set
81000   NP&S   1225   2004   ~ Loco   4-6-0, 10th aniv, North Pole & Southern Ver 5   P      Bach & Boscov
81000   WP&Y   14   2007   ~ Loco   4-6-0, 10th aniv, White Pass & Yukon Ver5         S
81088   D&RGW   178   2005   ~ Loco   4-6-0, 10th aniv, Denver & Rio Grande Western   P      Bumble Bee W
81092   PRR   9660   2002   ~ Loco   4-6-0, 10th aniv, Pennsylvania Ver 5   P      W
81093   EBT   10   2002   ~ Loco   4-6-0, 10th aniv, East Broad Top Ver 5   P      W
81094   RGS   25   2002   ~ Loco   4-6-0, 10th aniv, Rio Grande Southern Ver 5   P      W
81095   SPC   21   2000   ~ Loco   4-6-0, 10tn aniv, South Pacific Coast Ver 5   P      S
81096   WP&Y   10   2000   ~ Loco   4-6-0, 10th aniv, White Pass & Yukon Ver 5   P      W
81097   D&RG   12   2000   ~ Loco   4-6-0, 10th aniv, Denver & Rio Grande Ver 5   P      Wood burner S
81098   ET&WNC   12   2000   ~ Loco   4-6-0, 10th aniv, ET&WNC Ver 5   P      W
81099   None   None   2000   ~ Loco   4-6-0, 10th aniv, painted unlettered Ver 5    P      Wal 3 window cab

The first four are available only in sets, and the number 81000 is my way of listing them, not an official Bachamnn number.  The S or W in the listing indicates wether the loco has Walshearts of Stepenson valve gear .  All the set loco's have Stepenson valve gear except for the Sam's club setwhich has Walshearts, The set locos all have the two window cab except for the WP&Y no 14 which has three.

NP&S 1225 can have either Stepenson valve gear or Walshearts valve gear.  This is because the first run of set 90047 for Sam's club had walshearts and the second run for Boscovs, and the third run for Bachmann's catalog version all had the Stepenson valve gear.  I ddo have other info such as which were woodburners, cab windows and dome styles & such but no time to get it all added.  I can usually answer other questions about specific locos!

I do not yet have a Big hauler list, but can usually answer specific question about any you might have.

As always Error reports and corrections are always welcome!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Loco Bill

Another correction to the earlier list was that in later replies I indicated that WP&Y 14 had Walshearts valve gear.  This too was a typo as a result of the confusion of an old fart :o:-[  The 14 had stephenson gear as noted on the above list!

Only a fool thinks he knows it all, and then there are typos & confusion :-[

Corrections are always welcome!!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

tac

Quote from: Loco Bill on January 21, 2010, 12:02:20 PM
Terry,

I too retired after 33 years of service back in 1995.  I had a great time in Alaska with the Princess Patrica Canadian Light Infantry on joint maneuvers in 1963.   I sure enjoyed the Canadian Invasion of the US!!  Your pals stopped by my layout on the way to Marty's after visiting Ric.   Also I have always enjoyed your club website over the years.  I don't mind being quoted, but always appreciate being told about it. Please let me know offline where you posted it!

Jim in MO

Jim - I had posted the quote on www.largescalecentral.com. I have now pulled it in the interests of harmony.

tac
www.ovgrs.org 

Old John

Tac & Loco Bill,

Thank you for your service to our country...........

tac

Quote from: Loco Bill on January 21, 2010, 12:13:49 PM
Another correction to the earlier list was that in later replies I indicated that WP&Y 14 had Walshearts valve gear.  This too was a typo as a result of the confusion of an old fart :o:-[  The 14 had stephenson gear as noted on the above list!

Only a fool thinks he knows it all, and then there are typos & confusion :-[

Corrections are always welcome!!

Sir - you wrote - '81096   WP&Y   10   2000   ~ Loco   4-6-0, 10th aniv, White Pass & Yukon Ver 5   P      W.'

Just to let you know that the WP&YR loco number 10 in front of me as I write this has Walschaert gear, not Stephenson, but I have never seen a WP&YR loco number 14 - was this made for the set only?

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Jim in MO

Loco Bill, I am in Osage Beach at the Lake of the Ozarks.  I have family in Foristel / Wentsville area so get up your way once in awhile. 

Thanks for the Annie list, that is just what I was looking for.  Any idea how many different model Big Haulers have been built?

Tac, thanks for your help in locating the answers to my questions!

Jim

Loco Bill

Terry,

81096 WPY 10 was seperately packaged and sold as a single unit and has the Walchearts Valve gear.

WPY 14 was available  only in set 90059.  As a result it has (to date) never been sold as a seperate item and has no seperate Bachmann Item number. It has the Stephenson valve gear.  The number on my chart 81000 is not an official Bachmann number, just one I assigned to put some order into my database.  I know of at least one person who has swapped out valve gears to put a Walshearts under the #14.  The No 14 has been sold as a seperate item on Ebay by set breakers wanting to maximize their sales profits. 

Joe,

Next time you are down this way give me an email and I will give you a tour of the layout!!

There are probably at least 36 different Big Haulers 4-6-0's not counting the 4 Bachamnn plus Big hauler 4-6-0's,   IT is on my to do list to detail them out like I have with the Annies,  but my research list is very long!!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

tac

Quote from: Loco Bill on January 21, 2010, 09:56:41 PM
Terry, 81096 WPY 10 was seperately packaged and sold as a single unit and has the Walchearts Valve gear.

Thanks for that info, Sir.  I don't recall EVER seeing the WP set here in yUK - since I know that we only get the 'Big Hauler' sets.

Best

tac
www.ovgrs.org