Weekend Survey #1 Train shows

Started by BIG BEAR, April 27, 2007, 02:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIG BEAR

I'm just trying to invoke some discussion on train related surveys.

1. Do you attend any train shows, trade shows, or swap meets, as some people call them?

2. If yes, how many average per year?

3. Which ones, & where are your favorites?  the Bach-man should like to know these also.

4. What do you, or would you like to see at these shows?  That's my favorite ?

Remember, no right,or wrong answers. Just varied opinions.
That's what makes our world go 'round, and this hobby so fun to play in.

Enjoy,

Barry

Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Kevin Strong

1) Yes, if they're local and the club is putting on a display. Then, I go more for the social aspect than to actually see/purchase anything.

2) Two or three at the most. My work schedule keeps me from driving long distances to out-of-town shows, so short day trips are my only options.

3) I prefer the larger shows like those at the major conventions (Narrow Gauge, Garden Railway, etc.) The activities outside the show such as layout tours and general tourist stuff make it easier to justify traveling, though a 17 month old daughter tends to throw more wrinkles into that equation than anything else.

4) I like to see what the manufacturers are producing, which is why I prefer the larger trade-oriented shows. Being very singular in focus in terms of my modeling, rows and rows of Lionel and HO stuff just don't have the least bit of appeal for me. I do like looking through books and old photographs, though they're getting harder to come by at the local shows as well. Most of it's the same 'ole stuff.

Later,

K

GlennW

1) Yes, any local event. May buy nothing, but enjoy the outing.

2) Nashville averages 1 GATS type event per year. Dates for 2007 may be gone.
The Tennessee Central/NMRA sponsors 2 swap meets per year.
There may be 1-2 swap meets at the State Fairgrounds, 1 at other locations. No charge to park.
3) Large GATS-Greenberg shows can draw more out of the region vendors. Bachmann is always welcome to have a display.
4) I like to see more bargains, but it's tough for vendors to travel a distance & give it away. Vendors should bring plenty of business cards for after show business. I may order/call when new product introduced.
I'd like to see a better selection of food items at the shows, or a liberal return policy.

JerryB

Not a model train show, but a real LARGE SCALE (AS IN 1:1) event. My wife & I are volunteering this weekend as parlor car attendants on the Bay Area Electric Railway Association's Western Railway Museum Scenic Limited Trains. Three trips plus an early evening charter on Saturday, then three more trips on Sunday.

This is the last weekend of this yearly event. If you're in N. California, come out and ride on the old Sacramento Northern Oakland to Sacramento line while viewing the wildflowers. About 5 miles are under wire. The museum has one of the largest operating electric train collections in the country. See:
http://www.wrm.org/events/upcoming_events.htm
for wildflower trip details and:
http://www.wrm.org/index.html
for information about the BAERA / WRM.

See Ya on Board!

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Paul M.

1. Do you attend any train shows, trade shows, or swap meets, as some people call them? Yes

2. If yes, how many average per year? Probably about 2 or 3 a year

3. Which ones, & where are your favorites?  the Bach-man should like to know these also. I go to any local shows

4. What do you, or would you like to see at these shows?  That's my favorite ? I like seeing the modular layouts, and I like the places that sell a lot of used stuff. Railroad memorabilia is cool, and I like getting deals with Tyco stuff.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

BIG BEAR

Time for the originator to send his post. Sorry its so late, but I took some time to go to Title town train show. For Wisconsin's third largest show I was slightly disappointed in the size. several good vendors several layouts up & running. just not the huge nos. I was expecting.
        I average 12 - 15 per year including the local one , 1 per mo. but only the 6 winter mos. as ken mostly for the social aspect. The shows all tend to be from mid Oct. - mid April in my neck of the woods.
        The best ones so far have been Trainfest in Milwaukee, & Mad city held in Madison Wi.
        Besides seeing what is new in this fun hobby, I like to see how others
do their layouts. Last weekend the boys & girls club had a display w/ 10-12
lincoln log structures, how cool is that. DRATS forgot the camera. In Nov at trainfest the 4-H club had 40 some modules each made by a different kid, WOW! all hooked together with trains running through. I also like to see kids riding on a train even if it is for just 100 ft. of track.
      I hope you all enjoy this survey type stuff, as I have a couple more coming soon.

Barry
Barry,

conradin

Quote from: JerryB on April 28, 2007, 03:04:20 AM
Not a model train show, but a real LARGE SCALE (AS IN 1:1) event. My wife & I are volunteering this weekend as parlor car attendants on the Bay Area Electric Railway Association's Western Railway Museum Scenic Limited Trains. Three trips plus an early evening charter on Saturday, then three more trips on Sunday.

This is the last weekend of this yearly event. If you're in N. California, come out and ride on the old Sacramento Northern Oakland to Sacramento line while viewing the wildflowers. About 5 miles are under wire. The museum has one of the largest operating electric train collections in the country. See:
http://www.wrm.org/events/upcoming_events.htm
for wildflower trip details and:
http://www.wrm.org/index.html
for information about the BAERA / WRM.

See Ya on Board!

Happy RRing,

Jerry

That was my first (and only) time ever been to a train museum when I was living in California.   It was a very nice place.  The irony was that we were just driving on the highway for a normal weekend drive...and saw the museum, and decided to go in..with half an hour left before closing.  We basically went in for free.  Too late for any train rides, but did enjoy the trains and the displays.  We had no idea that there was ever a train museums ever existed.

RAM

Well Big Bear, It is not that people still call them swap meets.  It is that is the way they start out.  Modelers had things that they no longer wanted so they got together swap or sell.  Then the dealers started to come, and now only a few modelers go to sell.  I go to a local show one time a year if I am in town.  For many years I went to the national NMRA convention and train show.  I liked to see what was new.

BIG BEAR

Hey RAM,
      I guess where I come from, We mussn be hix. I just rustled through some flyers and found 7 titles of "train show and swap meet" on printed papers.
      Southeast Wisconsin & Northern Illnoise. But do you know what a Bubbler or Pop are?

Enjoy!
                      Barry   
Barry,

BIG BEAR

OK in Wisconsin a Bubbler is a water fountain & a Pop is a Soda.

Barry
Barry,