What are these British Bachmann Trains - Underground Ernie Circle Line?

Started by pipefitter, January 20, 2010, 02:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pipefitter

I just saw these trains on eBay. Another "Thomas" like franchise? Are they HO or OO and are they compatible with US standards? I looked in the Thomas forum here and don't see any mention of these. Here are some links I searched up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRANCHLINE-UE205-Circle-Trailer-Car-MINT-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ390121568295QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item5ad50eb827

http://models11.net/cart/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=9&sort=1a&filter_id=129&alpha_filter_id=0

http://www.undergroundernie.com/
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

rogertra

It's a UK TV show called "Underground Ernie".

Like "Thomas" only it's about UndergrounD (Subway) trains.

pipefitter

I've done some more searching and it seems these are Bachmann Branchline OO scale trains that run on HO track with 12VDC and are NMRA compliant. Some are DCC ready. However OO models are 1:76 scale therefore a bit larger than than HO scale. I would think this would not be a problem for these Underground Ernie models. It would appear there would be a problem with buying a British OO train set as the power supply would be designed for British outlets and voltage. However, it looks like these trains would run just fine on US HO tracks and power, either with DC or DCC with an added decoder.

Michigan Railfan

Pipefitter, OO models do run on HO track. Bachmann's thomas line is actually 1:76, not HO scale. Bachmann made the Thomas line 1:76 to match Hornby's british Thomas line i.e. so they are the same size. They will run on HO track. ;)

pipefitter

Quote from: rogertra on January 20, 2010, 02:51:25 PM
It's a UK TV show called "Underground Ernie ...

Quote from: IndianaJones12 on January 20, 2010, 08:12:28 PM
Pipefitter, OO models do run on HO track. Bachmann's thomas line is actually 1:76, not HO scale. Bachmann made the Thomas line 1:76 to match Hornby's british Thomas line i.e. so they are the same size. They will run on HO track. ;)

Thanks Roger T and IndiannaJones   :D

Cheers, Robert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jonWrXCCMdI

tac

Quote from: pipefitter on January 20, 2010, 07:18:34 PM
I've done some more searching and it seems these are Bachmann Branchline OO scale trains that run on HO track with 12VDC and are NMRA compliant. Some are DCC ready. However OO models are 1:76 scale therefore a bit larger than than HO scale. I would think this would not be a problem for these Underground Ernie models. It would appear there would be a problem with buying a British OO train set as the power supply would be designed for British outlets and voltage. However, it looks like these trains would run just fine on US HO tracks and power, either with DC or DCC with an added decoder.

Sir - I have running British model trains in the USA and Canada, and US and Canadian model trains in UK, since the early 1950's.

As you note - it is not the track voltage that matters, but the power supply.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

pipefitter

Quote from: tac on January 21, 2010, 11:06:49 AM... As you note - it is not the track voltage that matters, but the power supply.

Thanks tac,

Robert

buzz

Quote from: pipefitter on January 20, 2010, 07:18:34 PM

The trains them selves will run on US track using US train controllers as well as the accessories.
But be aware that underground Ernie is not a scale sized train and it Will wipe out on an OO platform at scale spacing.
It is very much larger than a tube train at correct OO scale however they are great fun for children or less than serious hobby moments.
I know I have some but they run on there own set up due to the loading gauge problem.
You can get scale models of the London Tube trains but its a special interest
area so tends to be expensive
regards John
A model railway can be completed but its never finished

pipefitter

Quote from: buzz on February 25, 2010, 06:47:01 AM... It is very much larger than a tube train at correct OO scale however they are great fun for children or less than serious hobby moments.

Thanks John, for the information. I was thinking about these for my little cousins.

Robert

buzz

Hi pipefitter
I forgot to tell you
The track in the circle line set is the std grey based Bachman
set track.
So you certainly will not have problems getting more track
Or alternatively the trains are available separately.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but its never finished