basic wiring schematic for switches

Started by Ben Assmann, February 23, 2010, 10:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Assmann

I  just bought a new DCC system and the new track pack. My question is why isn't there a basic wiring schematic for switches and turnouts?  Some switches (turnouts) purchased are dcc on board. I understand how to program.
The other 4 switches I have wiring and they have to be switched by the remotes along with some field wiring provided. However no diagram?
There are  2 great cd:s with the sets and manuals, however basic
wiring diagrams are not present.
I got a second manual on how to assemble the track.
This is the same manual as in the starter set.
I need a basic guide and or pointed to site to gain access to wiring.
I can follow a wiring diagram as I work on large chillers and boilers
in the HVAC field. This is new to me .  please help

OldTimer

Assuming that the switch motor is a solenoid type, do the following:

The switch motor should have three wires coming from it, often red, green and black.  These wires go to the controller.  The controller box has to have five connection points, somehow arranged in a group of two and a group of three. 

Run the two conductor wire from the power pack fixed AC to the controller.  The three wires from the switch motor are a common lead and two hot leads.  Usually the black is common, red and green control the movement of the solenoid.  Assuming that the three connection points are arranged together, common goes in the middle.

If the turnout operates backwards to what you think it should, swap the two hot leads at the controller.  With more than one turnout, you can save some wire by simply daisy chainning the common lead from switch machine to switch machine.

These solenoids draw a lot of current, so be careful not to hold the button down.  They'll melt.

Disclaimer...Bachmann does a lot of modular wiring with plugs, mini-jacks, etc.  Your parts may not look exactly like what I have described, but the principal is the same.  Depending on exactly what you have purchased, you may need to buy an inexpensive power pack to provide you with AC for the switch motors.

Old Timer
Just workin' on the railroad.

Jhanecker2

Kalmbach Publishing has a Book on this subject Titled : Easy Model Railroad Wiring. Easy is of course a matter of Opinion but it includes both DC & DCC wiring.  If your getting into this hobby/vice you are going to do a lot of electrical wiring.   Modern Technology is wonderful but confusing .  Good Luck  !!!  John   II