News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC equippe locomotive

Started by winnie, January 20, 2010, 02:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winnie

I bought a Athearn 95806, sw1000 BSNF Hertiage locomotive. The box says its is DCC quick plug equipped. I didn't realize that I was going to have to purchase an 8 pin decoder to make it dcc.

where do I find a dcc decoder 8 pin for this locomotive, my dealer says she can't find any that will fit.

and how do I tell for future reference, that a locomotive is dcc ready?

winnie

ABC

Many online reatailers sell decoders and they can also be found on ebay, including at the Favorite Spot last I checked. You can purchase them from walthers, but their prices are usually not discounted at all. When a locomotive says it is DCC-ready it means you can easily install a decoder without very much work. When a locomotive says it is DCC-equipped or DCC-On Board, then it means that it already has a decoder installed. Decoders run anywhere from $15 for a bare bones, simplistic decoder to around $200 for a top of the line decoder with sound and speaker included.
If space is an issue consider an N/Z scale decoder, but before you install it use a multimeter to check that your loco is within the specs of the decoder.

jward

digitraX DH123P has the 8 pin connector.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

Quote from: winnie on January 20, 2010, 02:44:11 PM
I bought a Athearn 95806, sw1000 BSNF Hertiage locomotive. The box says its is DCC quick plug equipped. I didn't realize that I was going to have to purchase an 8 pin decoder to make it dcc.

where do I find a dcc decoder 8 pin for this locomotive, my dealer says she can't find any that will fit.

and how do I tell for future reference, that a locomotive is dcc ready?

winnie

It is DCC ready. It has the Quick plug option. Right now I do not have a list of decoders with Quick plug decoders. There are decoders available, many without the plug. You have to solder the wires to the plug.
Some locos are DCC ready but do not have the plug. You have to solder the wires to the PC board.
My Spectrum DCC ready 0-6-0T is like that as well as my 44 ton diesel.
Understanding the terminology is the issue.

Oops, I forgot, the Athearn have the "9 pin JST" connector which is called the "Quick Plug" by Athearn.
That is standard for the Athearn line. My Athearn/Roundhouse steamers came with the Quick plug. I removed the wiring and soldered in my decoders so no help there.

Check with Litchfield Station. Their shipping charges for decoders are fairly low. Very light. They answer email.
http://www.litchfieldstation.com/DCC-University/index.htm

Tell your LHS to bone up on DCC. Many LHS that cater to all hobbies, many times are not very aware of DCC. Out of at least six people at my LHS, only one knows anything about DCC.

Lex

Pacific Northern

I thought that Athearn used the 9 pin DCC decoders in their DCC ready units?
Pacific Northern

rich1998

Ok, back again. I found one list. Be carefull, some JST decoders are sound decoders but still plug in and have wires for the speaker.
Another subject.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/home.php?cat=80

Pay attention to the DCC terminology. Very important when you jump into DCC. Quick plug is the same as the 9 pin JST. Some JST decoders come with wires. You have to cut back the shrink on the decoder just enough to expose the JST connector. Been there, done that, have the T shirt.

Rich

rich1998

Quote from: Pacific Northern on January 20, 2010, 05:38:12 PM
I thought that Athearn used the 9 pin DCC decoders in their DCC ready units?

They do. Quick Plug is the 9 pin JST connector.

Most of the DCC people use the 9 pin JST terminology.

Athearn uses the Quick Plug Terminology..

Lex

jward

if this is the case, all the digitrax decoders i've used have the jst plug. the decoder itself plugs into the wireing harness using a jst plug.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

Just in case no one looked at the previous links, look at the below link. I get no benefit from the site except very good service and quick shipping. He also include a piece of candy with every order. :)

Store all the links. Maybe you will not use them but you can share them with others who do not know how the search the web.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/search.php?mode=search&page=1

Rich