Types of Turnouts in EZ Track Kit

Started by glavdog, January 19, 2010, 09:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glavdog

I bought the Bachmann starter EZ track in nickel, and am about to buy the DCC EZ Command unit and engines.   The track pack came with green wired turnouts, but I see you also have DCC turnouts.  How are these different, and how do I wire these into the control, regular and DCC.   I read where you said the command DCC system controls these with a function, but its not clear on where these wire in, and again, the difference in the turnouts being the green wired ones in this set and the DCC ones.   Thanks.

TrainArts

glavdog

Thanks, but I reposted because the question didn't get answered.   The track pack I bought has turnouts with green wires and small black switches, and I'm hoping someone can explain how these are wired in to power....where does the green wire plug in?   

TrainArts

Yeah, isn't it funny how those switches don't come with instructions.

In a perfect world the Bach-man will post a link to the instructions that don't come with that track pack.

I had the same question, there are some answers here:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,11240.msg91979.html#msg91979

What I was still confused about, it seems like momentary contact switches are called for, but the ones supplied by Bachmann are not momentary contact, or don't appear to be.

I never did wire those switches up. I see where the green wires connect to the supplied switches, but I don't recall getting a wire to connect to the accessory terminals.

It does seem like the Bachmann switch controls can be chained together.

Good questions, I'd like an answer too.

Joe Satnik

Dear GD,

You need at least 1 red double wire cable to take accessory power (usually 12 to 16 Volts AC) from a power pack to the first electrical slide-push switch in the chain.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

TrainArts

Thanks Joe.

Are the Bachmann-supplied switches momentary or do they put constant power on the switch?

Someone warned in the other thread that the turnout motors burn out easily.

Joe Satnik

Dear TrainArts,

Slide-push turnout controllers are momentary.

1.) Don't lean on the momentary push button too long.  If the points don't throw within one-half second, let off, and let the turnout motor (solenoid) cool for a minute.  During that time, figure out why it didn't throw, and fix it.

2.) I  have heard reports that the slide-push controllers can break.  The Atlas #56 has the same function, but with screw terminals.   

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.